2021 POTD Thread Archive

Today in my shop I completed a nice paying gig. Agitation tank bushings from UHMW.

The stock was 2 1/4" inch square, I needed 2 1/8"... face mill 1/8" DOC, feed rate = fast as you can crank :)
Chamfer on four sides with a 45 degree router bit in the mill.
Blind hole was started by plunging a 7/8" diameter end mill and finished to 1 1/8 diameter with a single pass of the boring head.
Washed of with dish-soap and water and into a zip-lock for delivery.
A fun gig.

Thanks for looking
D.G.

20210702_190004.jpg

20210702_194842.jpg

20210702_201743.jpg

@pdentrem

The cage looks great.
What sort of wildlife do you have to protect the trash from?
Just raccoons, canines and high winds fortunately. Nearest bear is usually 60 miles away unless one escapes from the local zoo, which has happened before.
Pierre

Continuing on with the Gyroscope Kit prototype.
Humidex here to today is supposed to be 39 degrees Celsius (102F)
Good day to be in my basement shop.
Hi Doug! My experience with Gyroscopes is that wheels with less mass than shown and with most of the mass out near the circumference of the wheel will run longer. Weight and friction are the enemies of Gyroscopes. Just a suggestion, your mileage may vary! Dave

Made some covers for my mill table T-Slots, has always been a pain cleaning them out. I used HDPE marine gray 1/2" for the covers with a lip at the front and shaped to fit the vise on each side. I did not want the covers to contact the mill table top because moisture could build up and cause rust, so I machined 1/2" threaded standoffs that fit in the T-slots and are adjustable for height. There is a 0.1" air gap between bttom of the HDPE covers and the mill table. Been something I been wanting to do for a long time, but I first needed to make a stop system that didn't use the T-slots, which I recently completed.

Mill table cover 1.jpg

The additional two feet threaded holes are setup in case I use the vise off center.
Mill table cover 2.jpg
Mill table cover 3.jpg

looks good! Now get a couple of cookie trays to put on either side, then you can pick those and sweep the chips off into a bucket. Clean up in seconds :)

today I fixed my small universal bench vise that the threads stripped out. I found that I use it a lot for small projects and had to get it back in working condition. I had to make a new inner part and thread it.
when putting it back together I found that I had reinstalled the bad part so had to take it apart and install the new part--I guess I'm slipping, but now it works again. Dave

Attachments

• DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 41
  • DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 35
  • DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
  • DSCF0008.JPG
    DSCF0008.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
  • DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 39
Not metal working but a nice project.

We have lawn irrigation but I opened up new area and wanted water there. I could have called the irrigation guy but I did have a few extra channels in the controller and the Rain Bird manifold was just $60 at Lowe’s.
Connected the garden hoses and ran doorbell wire to the controller. Now I can use the house spigot and control it like the others

key is to be sure no leaks from the spigot.

I have a cover but will watch it uncovered a few days to be sure no leaks

Attachments

• 61887919-EBC8-43D0-9B62-C9265A163C70.jpeg
    61887919-EBC8-43D0-9B62-C9265A163C70.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
Back