220v w/VFD or new 110v motor for lathe?

If I had my druthers i'd ruther have a vfd. That way when you get another machine or two you will have a much broader selection of available machines to choose from and can push for better deals since the three phase stuff is harder to sell to a home owner or hobbyist. It will also help keep your elec bill out of the stratosphere and provide you with access to higher horsepower equipment and infinitely adjustable speed with little or now torque loss. So, if it were me I would invest in a phase converter with VFD and look to the future when your shop is bigger and has more equipment, you wont regret going that way, trust me...
Bob

Anyone using one of these for rpm reading?

View attachment 37155[/QUOTE]

I have one of those. I used it when I had my previous lathe with the DC motor and KB controller. I used it at first to get some readings at different pulley settings, and it's kept in the toolbox ever since as I could guesstimate the RPM for my needs based on RPM at 100% and the current pot setting. it works well, simple to use, and not expensive (off of ebay)

SPLAT: Same goes for your question - even with VFD, I'll still use the pulleys (me personally, I know others dont) to get to nominal speeds and keep VFD at 100% output so I basically follow the readings on the lathe speed chart (since using factory motor and pulleys) and if during work, I need to slow things down, I'll use the VFD to temporarily match the current need. but otherwise I'll try to keep it at 100% rate.

Thank you, guys. Guess I'll be getting a vfd today (hopefully). Pro'lly go for the Teco/Westinghouse JNEV-101-H1.

Hawkeye, FWIW I went to Machtach's site and they're stating sales of the Machtach's are suspended att.

Last edited:
SPLAT: Same goes for your question - even with VFD, I'll still use the pulleys (me personally, I know others dont) to get to nominal speeds and keep VFD at 100% output so I basically follow the readings on the lathe speed chart (since using factory motor and pulleys) and if during work, I need to slow things down, I'll use the VFD to temporarily match the current need. but otherwise I'll try to keep it at 100% rate.

Ah, isn't there supposed to be a plate on the cone cover listing the speeds? I think that might be helpful to me. :p Gotta find one now. Thanks PurpLev.

Another Tread mill motor guy?
Having done the DC route, was it worth the trouble of fabrication for DC power? / Or does the VFD rule because they have become so efficient and easy to install??

Don

Anyone using one of these for rpm reading?

View attachment 37155

I have one of those. I used it when I had my previous lathe with the DC motor and KB controller. I used it at first to get some readings at different pulley settings, and it's kept in the toolbox ever since as I could guesstimate the RPM for my needs based on RPM at 100% and the current pot setting. it works well, simple to use, and not expensive (off of ebay)

SPLAT: Same goes for your question - even with VFD, I'll still use the pulleys (me personally, I know others dont) to get to nominal speeds and keep VFD at 100% output so I basically follow the readings on the lathe speed chart (since using factory motor and pulleys) and if during work, I need to slow things down, I'll use the VFD to temporarily match the current need. but otherwise I'll try to keep it at 100% rate.[/QUOTE]

Another Tread mill motor guy?
Having done the DC route, was it worth the trouble of fabrication for DC power? / Or does the VFD rule because they have become so efficient and easy to install??

Don

I'm a hobby - woodworker, machinist, electrician, and more... so fabricating the DC replacement to my lathe was a fun project for me. I replaced the asian 3/4hp AC motor with a made in the US Leeson 3/4 DC motor. the housing was NOT the same, and I literally had to incorporate machining, woodworking, and electicity work into making it work (it's blogged in on my personal blog linked in my signature line below). BUT it was quite a project and involved quite a bit of work to make it all work, including generating all the proper circuit connections on the KB controller to be able to break, reverse, and protect the DC motor and controller itself properly. all in all, it came out great, but It did not perform as well at low RPMs as I would have liked it to - but it did work well enough for what I needed it to do.

The VFD was just a joy, and a no brainer. there are preset connections for everything (input, output, fwd/rev/pot) and everything is programmable, so no need to physically play around with cables and switches. connect wires, and turn it on (some minor settings to enable remote fwd/off/rev switch to use the factory lathe rocker switch but that was it).

If I had to do this again, I'd go for VFD as opposed to replacement Motor + controller. it ends up being same cost, but just a much easier process to setup and less to monkey around with.

but that's just me.

I have been following this and all the info is very good
I would like to add for the mach3 cnc lathe users that the machtach is not for threading in mach3 and will not send a pulse to the mach3 unless modified
I got caught by another company with a usb tach that displays in mach3 it works for a display but will not send the required pulse for threading.
a little off topic
steve

PL,
I think that was a great answer. I love my shop, but I still want to put retired time on the dirt bike. At 59, if I can still rail the EXC on single track, this is the time to do it. My best friends have pushed it from ages 70 to 78 years of age. The good days are reserved for the fewer days we can ride in the future, the shop makes up the time balance.

If the VFD increases leisure time, it's got real value for all of us.

May 10, 2012 Ginger Creek 003.jpg

Greg's 70, still does 40 hard trail miles most days

May 10, 2012 Ginger Creek 003.jpg

PL,
I think that was a great answer. I love my shop, but I still want to put retired time on the dirt bike. At 59, if I can still rail the EXC on single track, this is the time to do it. My best friends have pushed it from ages 70 to 78 years of age. The good days are reserved for the fewer days we can ride in the future, the shop makes up the time balance.

View attachment 37161

I just sold my YZ250 2 stroke. Hated to do it but this thing they put in my arm for dialysis is too fragile to take a chance on hitting a branch or falling down on a high speed off camber railer into a flat top. Sure do miss it too, that and scuba diving. I am cleared to dive, but take too many hard narcotics to attempt that. Don't wanna die any sooner than I am supposed to already...
Bob

PL,

View attachment 37161

that is awesome! always wanted to be able to do these things - but already have so many hobbies that take up every second that I don't have ...

but you nailed it - whatever increases leisure time got a real value!

FWIW I find KB controllers most excellent for their purpose - had 2 of them myself (still have 1 left). just have to use them for the right purpose, and sometimes consider the alternatives.

Back