220v w/VFD or new 110v motor for lathe?

I just sold my YZ250 2 stroke. Hated to do it but this thing they put in my arm for dialysis is too fragile to take a chance on hitting a branch or falling down on a high speed off camber railer into a flat top. Sure do miss it too, that and scuba diving. I am cleared to dive, but take too many hard narcotics to attempt that. Don't wanna die any sooner than I am supposed to already...

Sometimes the risk isn't worth it. Do what you have to- more important not to waste time.

Thanks for members posting feedback on KB VFD, Should offer a choice for those looking for versatility on their equipment.

Just picked up my NEV-101-H1 today from Dealers Ind. Equipment. Nice guys. Answered my questions and even better, only %3 sales tax! 3 year warranty on these is nice too. Family comes first so pro'lly won't get it done until Monday.

Just picked up my NEV-101-H1 today from Dealers Ind. Equipment. Nice guys. Answered my questions and even better, only %3 sales tax! 3 year warranty on these is nice too. Family comes first so pro'lly won't get it done until Monday.
Good for you I think you will be happy with the results of a VFD setup.

Like some of the other post I would agree on. I too have several Treadmill Motor setups on several of my machines. Drill press & Mini mill.
got most of it for free. (can't beat free) and though it does work. its just no comparison to the VFD imho.

if I had to do it all over agin knowing what I know now? I would go the VFD route. But not after having tried the free route first!

Best!
Sam

Sniper,
so you were DC and went to AC?

Drill press:
Started out Ac, I converted to Treadmill mtr and treadmill controller DC setup... Still use it.

Band Saw:
Started out Ac, I converted to Treadmill mtr and treadmill controller DC setup... Still use it.

Taig Mill Cnc'd
Started out Ac, I converted to Treadmill mtr with a Dart contrioller Still use it.

Atlas Lathe:
Started out Ac setup, I converted to the VFD setup.

Both my Drill press and Bandsaw have modified circuits to allow me to startup at the last speed used.
The Taig since it uses the Dart controller I can Reverse on the fly.
Sam

Maybe you can post some pics for us, the newer (older inexperienced) guys- down the road anyway.

Thank you

my next mill I'm going to cnc i want to go vfd 3 phase it's going to be a zx45 clone. If any of you have this mill would you go direct belt drive or use the existing gear drive and overdrive the motor with the vfd. I'm wanting more top speed for aluminum cutting and the top speed of 1600 for the smaller endmills i use is too slow.
my 9x20 hf lathe i never converted to dc because the speeds available were fine with me except for threading. there was no way i could learn single point threading with even the lowest speed available on the lathe. so i installed a dc treadmill motor behind the lathe with a belt i can easily remove without doing anything to the present lathe setup this with the lathes own speed reduction made threading easy. I never disengage the halfnut and i use the forward/stop/reverse switch i wired to the motor to change direction to make the next pass. now i can finally cut threads without the fear of crashing the lathe.
steve

oh another note if you use replys that have no and nc contacts you can wire the dc motor to brake to an instant stop and not coast. I can find the diagram if anyone is interested but what it does is short the motor wires together in the stop position.
steve

Yes, the VFD and tread mill motor setups so others can see the fabrication involved. I think several DC motor guys said they thought VFD was easier and comparable to the tread mill motor. I was wondering if the lathe application of DC would be the most practical use- or does VFD still win out.

Gives the hobby shop guys access to some info for setting up a system either way.

Back