240v/50a Welder Problem.

Yes Coolidge it is quick. Spatter is a matter of fine tuning the machine. I always thought new welders would do good to learn on oxy acetylene welding as the process is slower and one can learn forming and controlling a puddle. Now tig is much the same as Oxy. in that it can be slower and allow this learning. I do tons of stick welding in the field and I love it. (right up till I have to be right under the weld) You can tune the volts and wire speed down to some degree to allow for more control. As I mentioned it seemed the 210 mp is a bit to the hot side. I think for those that like to run a fast wide bead. me I like to work the puddle and have a tight bead.

Yes I like to TIG to it is clean and well controlled just not suited for dirty or outside work. also less mobile like in the field. What TIG set up did you get? One day I will get rid of my 400lbs transformer machine for a smaller inverter.

Mark

My Lincoln 210MP got me seriously irritated, (something usually gets damaged or starts bleeding when that happens) I had been practicing maybe 2 weeks and could not get my welds to suck in into the corner concave. So I got mad and cranked it almost to max, that did the trick but things got uh...lively. I purchased an Everlast 255ext and their cooler.

Last edited by a moderator:
bad gas will make your mig machine act like it't too hot, try another bottle and see if it gets better

Coolidge that weld looks good. A little concaved but good. A crowned welled that is to high is generally moving to slow or not hot enough. I know you don't have that machine any more but just in case you find yourself having to MIG weld a gain.

Is the Everlast 255 EXT living up to your expectations? It looks like a nice machine. It also seems to get good reviews. Just would like to here your feelings on some pros and cons.

Mark

Coolidge that weld looks good. A little concaved but good. A crowned welled that is to high is generally moving to slow or not hot enough. I know you don't have that machine any more but just in case you find yourself having to MIG weld a gain.

Is the Everlast 255 EXT living up to your expectations? It looks like a nice machine. It also seems to get good reviews. Just would like to here your feelings on some pros and cons.

Mark

So far the Everlast has been awesome. Look at my stainless welds, I'm a welding noob and that's after only like 1 hour of practice e.g. the Everlast machine is making me look like a way better welder than I am. Its so good it lets me focus on the things I really need to improve like not dipping the tungsten in the puddle, managing shrinkage/warping of the material. The only issue I have had is the HF failing to strike an arc, there are more than a few users out there who have complained about this but I figured it out its not the machine. If the end of your tungsten is contaminated (its possible to grind a tungsten and not clean off the very pointed tip) it may not start. I was having this problem because I was not breaking off the tip of a tungsten I dipped into the puddle and just grinding it, if the tip is still contaminated then it won't strike an arc. But one swipe of some 600 grit paper on the tip and presto it strikes an arc with no problem. Since then I now make sure to snap off the contaminated point or make sure I grind the tip clean and its strikes an arc 100% of the time. I have run quite a bit of beads with a single tungsten, so long as I don't screw up by dipping it into the puddle and let it cool down in the gas post flow it lasts a long time and no problem striking an arc since.

Everlast vs Miller here's the deal. I was drooling over the Miller Dynasty 280dx, that's the equivalent machine to the Everlast 255ext, actually the Everlast has some features the Miller doesn't. But wow the Miller was going to cost over $7,000 almost 3 times what the Everlast cost me. AND by the way a bunch of the Miller machine is now made in Asia so they don't have that Made in USA thing to justify the higher price. The catch with buying an Everlast is I have 6 Miller dealers within 15 miles of my house where Everlast has only a central service center I think in Idaho. So if I have an issue I'm kind of screwed with the Everlast, either they have to ship me parts which I will have to install or I have to pay out of my own pocket to ship the machine to them for repair and there are reports of people having to wait ridiculous amounts of time for Everlast to repair their machine, months in some cases. So if a guy relies on his welder to make a living then I say buy the Miller. But since I use the Everlast for hobby purposes spending the extra $4,000 for their service center network really didn't make sense.

PS: One thing I love about TIG, you can weld right over the top of your mistakes and its like they never happened, I love that.

Well, since it looks like you have your "too hot" issue pretty well identified and mitigated, isn't it time for the thread to stray off topic?

Really it doesn't sound like there's much you can do about it but compensate by turning the welder down a little. The welders work fine at the welding supply, but run hot at your house and your neighbor's.

Very odd that a few volts makes that much difference, though. Most people, myself included, have to work with voltage drop, not rise.

Well the Eastwood worked fine at their shop and then ran hot for me at home. The Lincoln ran hot at my house and at my friends house. As to that power We are both less than a block away from the same substation, both also are approximately 100' off of the transformer. I know the farther away the more resistance so the lower the volts. so being this close should put me at a higher voltage.

Mark

Back