• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

[4]

2M drill chuck missing arbor to 3M

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Sparks

Swarf
Registered
I have a nice drill chuck that came with the used small lathe/mill I bought. I don't have an arbor that will work with it and can't seem to find one online anywhere. What I need is a Morse 2 male which is the mill machine end and a M2 which is the opening in the drill chuck. Do they make such a thing? I actually have a M3 on the mill opening but have the M3 male to M3 female so I suppose I could use a M3 male to M2 male, either way. Suggestions? Thanks
Sparks

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
can you post a picture of the chuck?

mikey

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Never heard of a M-taper. I've seen B-tapers (DIN 238) for some European chucks and Jacobs tapers but not an M-taper. Does it actually state that it is an M2 taper on the chuck? If so, then I have no idea where you would find an arbor for it.

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Hi Sparks,
is the chuck tapered on the ID?
if so, you may have a jacob's taper
if the chuck doesn't have a taper, you could easily turn a straight arbor to suit your needs
if it has a taper, you may wish to buy a completed arbor on ebay or amazon, or from one of many toolhouses
unless you'd like the challenge of cutting 2 opposing tapers with different dimensions :grin:

higgite

General Manger - Proofreading Dept.

pstemari

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Are you sure that's an ”M2” and not a JT33 or JT6?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sparks

Swarf
Registered
Thank you Higgite! That is the answer. I know that the chuck fits my other MT2 tapers just fine but finding one that was mt3 male to mt2 male was yielding no results. A newer search based on your provided info allowed me to find the MT2 to a B16 which from measurement is perfect. So the chuck is actually a B16. The cheapest I found is like $21 with shipping which is reasonable. I hated to discard the chuck as it's a nice 1.5 to 13mm for slightly larger drills above 3/8.

higgite

General Manger - Proofreading Dept.
I'm glad I could help. I learned something in the process, too.

Tom

[6]
[5] [7]