3" Face Cutter

HBilly1022

Registered
Registered
The King PDM-30 (RF30 clone) I just got came with a 3" face cutter and I recall someone suggesting these things are almost useless. After looking at it, it looks like the 4 cutters are quite dull and not carbide. The don't look like HSS either and file very easily. Does anyone know what the cutters are made of and if it is suitable for facing mild steel?

I would guess that if they file easily, they will not be suitable for steel and probably not last very long on softer metals either.

Might be good for milling Jello, but that's about it.

Replace the tool bits with new hss ones and grind them. If you want a fly cutter just leave all but one out. Even though it's not a high quality cutter it will get you by for starters.

^^^^ I agree, replace the cutters. Brazed tip carbide to get more life between sharpenings over hss.

I had one with my Rong Fu round column.
Never could get it to work.
Had a difficult time getting her adjusted so all cut evenly.
User error?
End up using one cutter (fly cutter).

Daryl
MN

Replace the tool bits with new hss ones and grind them. If you want a fly cutter just leave all but one out. Even though it's not a high quality cutter it will get you by for starters.

Great idea!!! Any idea what those bits that come with it are made of? I might just try sharpening them and try it on some scrap.

Back