3 or 4 axis DRO for 9x42 mill

I had a great experience buying on AliExpress. I got a Easson brand DRO for hundreds less than Dro Pros. The guy 'Willson' I bought from was very knowledgeable and helpful. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1021179?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.IeRNAd

Was that in the $400-500 range?

I got a DRO from "Wilson" today. So did a friend on this forum. 3 axis, ANY length scales up to 1000 mm (custom made per order, over 1000mm to 3000 mm at additional price), slim scales at the same price. .0002" (.005 mm) resolution. I paid $227.80 and free freight via UPS. Other resolution scales available. Wilson can communicate well in English, and the operator's manual seems to be written in good English. Arrived today, checked it out, it works and looks good. Now to install it...

Which manufacturer and model? Was that a Sinpo or Siton unit?

I was looking at the link above from Eddyde and see they have the ES-12C DRO with 3 GS10 glass scales for $473.80 shipped, well that is really hard to beat, I have not seen the ES12B/C at this price as complete systems from any vendor previously. A number of HM member's have the newer ES-12B or C (same model different display orientation) and they are great DROs, well worth the additional spend if you want a graphical display and easier to use milling functions. I have the older ES-12 on my lathe and it works wonderfully. You could also purchase a 1 micron slimline scale for the spindle axis on a mill or for the cross slide on a lathe.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...igital-readout-and-3/1021179_32783651186.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...id=805cd386-b2ca-4e52-a327-4a59c00f91f4&tpp=1

Seriously considering the ES-12C. Does anyone have an specific experience with the 12 B/C units?

The US resellers market these as 12 x 30 x 16 (z on the knee) which matches the Bridgport 9x42 travels. From watching some video I see that the scale needs to be specified a minimum of 1" longer travel than the actual travel to avoid crashing the read head into the end stop. When you specified the size of the scales did you increase the length to make it easy to reach existing features and tapped holes or did you spec the max travel plus 1"?

Direct conversion for range of travel is 304.8 mm x 762 mm x 406.4 mm

Round up for range of travel would be 305 x 762 x 407

Or do these guys prefer nearest 10 mm or something?

I believe that the X scale I have currently is the width of the table IIRC.

Thanks again
Ryan

Last edited:
None of the stuff shipped has any brand name or model number on it, including the user manual. The seller's company name has "Siton" in it, so maybe it is a Siton.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/fre...dout-with-3-pcs-linear-scales/1524501216.html is the current ad for what I bought.
The scales are custom made for each order. You can specify 231mm, or 454mm. They want to know what travel range you want the scale to have, and also show the additional length amount to add for the total length of the scale and drawings of the ends with dimensions. .0002" (.005mm) resolution is standard. Finer resolution is optional at a slightly increased price. Scales longer than 1000mm up to 3000 mm are available at extra cost. Slim scales can be substituted for any or all of the scales at no additional cost.
Edit: "Wilson" will answer any questions you have in completely understandable English, and is easy to deal with after the sale. I made a couple changes to my order and it was handled seamlessly and professionally.

Last edited:
Was that in the $400-500 range?

Seriously considering the ES-12C. Does anyone have an specific experience with the 12 B/C units?

The US resellers market these as 12 x 30 x 16 (z on the knee) which matches the Bridgport 9x42 travels. I'm under the impression that these are travel ranges and that the scale will actually be longer. How do I specify the size of the scales?

I believe that the X scale I have currently is the width of the table IIRC.

Thanks again
Ryan

If you look on the website it has the dimensions of the scales. The formula is L+144 (L=length of travel in mm) That would be the total length of the scale. The pickup or read head is 73mm. So you need to add 37 mm to what you think you need to compensate for the length of the read head. I would add a little buffer to those measurements as long as you have the room to mount the scales. Hope his is understandable.

PS Those are for the GS10 scales the GS30 are slim line and are different

Last edited:
The US resellers market these as 12 x 30 x 16 (z on the knee) which matches the Bridgport 9x42 travels. I'm under the impression that these are travel ranges and that the scale will actually be longer. How do I specify the size of the scales?

Unless there is some compelling reason, like very tight mounting restrictions, it is wise to order the scales at least an inch or so longer than the ACTUAL and CAREFULLY MEASURED maximum travel of the axes. This makes mounting much more simple, with a little extra travel at each end. If the scale travel is not longer than the actual travel of the axis, as mounted, and at both ends, then the scale can and will crash at any short end. OK, maybe setting a stop might save the scale, but you are losing travel and still setting yourself up for an eventual crash. I ordered all my scales with travels about an inch+ longer than the MEASURED travel of the axes. Do not use the manual or the maker's advertising of travel length. Measure it yourself, on your specific machine, and make sure you are actually reaching the ends of the possible travel. You might be really sorry if you do not take this all into account BEFORE ordering!

On a related note. What are the recommendations for a single axis unit for the quill? Igaging? AccuRemote?

Is there an inexpensive (< $100) quill solution that uses an external power source rather than a battery?

Thanks again - you guys are great!

Ryan

With the cost of glass and magnetic scales falling farther and farther over time, I think it makes sense to get a DRO with them rather than the iGaging or AccuRemote types, which have less accuracy, especially because inaccuracies becomes additive with distance traveled with those scale types. The quoted resolution does not say it all... Also, the physical robustness of those scales is not as good, poorer and cheaper designs, materials, and bare plastic wire insulation. IMO. However, they definitely do the job well enough to be considered.

With the cost of glass and magnetic scales falling farther and farther over time, I think it makes sense to get a DRO with them rather than the iGaging or AccuRemote types, which have less accuracy, especially because inaccuracies becomes additive with distance traveled with those scale types. The quoted resolution does not say it all... Also, the physical robustness of those scales is not as good, poorer and cheaper designs, materials, and bare plastic wire insulation. IMO. However, they definitely do the job well enough to be considered.

Bob, i was thinking a small standalone for the quill in addition to a three axis for table, saddle and knee. Is there something I'm missing? Is the wisdom here to go three axis on table, saddle and quill and use an indicator if a knee movement is required?

The ideal configuration would be a three axis display with 4 scale inputs that supports summing of the quill and knee. I haven't seen any discussion of such support from the Easson units, did i miss something?

Bob, i was thinking a small standalone for the quill in addition to a three axis for table, saddle and knee. Is there something I'm missing? Is the wisdom here to go three axis on table, saddle and quill and use an indicator if a knee movement is required?

The ideal configuration would be a three axis display with 4 scale inputs that supports summing of the quill and knee. I haven't seen any discussion of such support from the Easson units, did i miss something?
There are different approaches that work for different people and situations. There is also the matter of cost. Summing units seem like a great idea to me, but the ones I have seen both scales have to be quadrature type, which likely takes away the battery powered ones(?) They are also kind of pricey for what they do. Personally, I am coming from a place where I keep track of backlash, count handle rotations and fractions thereof forwards and backwards, and try not to make mistakes, all in my head or with some help from a pencil. It works for me, and has for millions of other machinists, it does not cost much for the hardware, but it certainly takes concentration to not make big mistakes. Just having a 3 axis DRO seems like heaven and "gee whiz" to me... A quill readout, a knee readout, and paper and pencil does not seem too difficult on those fairly rare occasions it might be needed.

Back