3 or 4 axis DRO for 9x42 mill

At the end of the day, I have yet to use my summing Z+U. It would only be needed for work with very tall extremes. I mill everything height wise (Z or U axis) using spindle height, I have yet to use the knee for anything other than gross height changes. Since it is powered, I do not have fine adjust anyway. The handle is parked away so you do not kick it. Do not over think the situation (not that I haven't done that before). I thought I would use the summation, but not so. Go with a 3 axis, choose if you want a knee or a spindle for the third axis. As previously indicated a battery spindle DRO is easy to install, but if you want the increased accuracy then put a scale on the spindle. You do have dials on the knee, you can alway count turns. Even on my bechtop mil, I never found a need for a column DRO, just the battery operate spindle and X/Y axis DRO. Just a matter of what you prefer. There is also the Sino 4 axis DRO, but I much prefer the graphical display for the mill which is usually 3 axis unles you want to cough up the extra $$. As mentioned, mounting a glass sscale or magnetic scale on the spindle axis is a real PTA. Look at all the factory installed DRO's, most are 2 axis, and if 3 they do the knee (simpler). End of the day, my recommendation at this price level is do a 3 axis with the knee, and do a battery operated spindle.

In my case, I do machine to better than 0.001" so I do use the additional spindle axis resolution provided by a 5 micron scale. I might have gone with 1 micron scales had they been available. But that is just a matter of needs and costs. No doubt magnetic scales will become much less expensive and probably glass scales will become obsolete in the not to distant future. YMMV

Here is a reply from someone that only knows how to turn on the dro and zero, and go from there. I bought the el400 on Black Friday and had an idea. I rarely use the knee, I wanted the quill readout. It would cost a little more, BUT, if you bought the 3 axis EL400 and then bought another magnetic strip if ever the need arose, have 4 strips, and three inputs. If you have to, remove the wiring from one function to another. Bad idea????? Like I said I am very new to this so this may be a terrible idea but for a new guy with lack of experience under his belt, it seemed like a great idea to me. I didn't buy a 4th strip yet and haven't decided what to do exactly. Maybe someone here will make more sense on whether my idea is stupid or usefull. The kit will be in tomorrow so I'm excited to get it on, and put the mill dro on my lathe. What you do with yours, all 4 may be needed for a specific job. For this newbie, I can't imagine needing all 4 at the same time. Just a thought. Thanks.

Last edited:
We have a 110" between centers Tos lathe, whomever installed the Heidenhain glass Z axis scale never considered that someday someone would have to take the tailstock off and run the carriage all the way to the end.

Someone eventually did.
This did not end well.

A quick update. I sent a couple of questions to Wilson, I'll let everyone know the final outcome.

Thanks.

Ryan

any update

I sent three questions to Wilson, he must have been out of the office. After a few days I emailed him just a single question and he got back with me a couple of days later.

Q1: What is the current cost to upgrade each scale to 1um.
A: $18 per axis.

Q2: Is the Easson 12C available in a 4 axis configuration.
A: Not yet answered.

Q3 was about scale lengths, I figured it out on my own.

I inspected the scales currently installed on my Bridgeport, it's a 2 axis Mitutoyo with Mitutoyo scales.

The X axis scale is labeled 750mm travel, and measures 35.5 inches (902mm) overall length
The Y axis scale is labeled 325mm travel, and measures 19 inches (483mm) overall length

If I go with the Z axis on the knee, my knee travels 16 inches or approximately 406.4mm, seems a 560mm overall length should work.

Do these scale lengths seem appropriate for a 9x42 Series 1 Bridgeport? Is there anything I'm overlooking?

Thanks,
Ryan

I ordered the 12c. Here is the response I received from Wilson. I also had to wait for a number of days to get a response. Now Im waiting on a response as to the cost of the scale upgrade. Thank you for posting. But here is the response I received.

Dear John,
Sorry to inform you:

For Easson ES-12C, informed by factory ES-12C already stopped to produce, but have ES-12B as attached link, ES-12B is same with ES-12C just different cover, their function and material all is same, also is LCD display and metal cover. The scales are GS10 model not changed.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...488.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.744edf25yAoL8P

Pls check and confirm if we can ship ES-12B instaed of ES-12C, thanks.

Regards,
Wilson

With the ES-12C out of production, I wonder what their next product release will look like?

While waiting for the response from Wilson, I've been contemplating the DRO Pros EL700 again. It's not that I can't afford it, I just hadn't planned to invest that much in a DRO when I could put those funds towards a good start on a Tormach CNC machine.

On the EL700, DRO Pros advertises a 6 year warranty for the incremental magnetic scales, does the warranty cover just the scales or also the display unit?

Ryan

for future reference
The scales apparently come in increments of 50mm

Dear John,
Thanks for that you accept use ES-12B display.
We can send GS30 scales to you for this order.
But for the length, GS30 only has 100mm, 150mm, 200mm...these normal travel length.
So how about send GS30 550mm-400mm-200mm travel scales?
Pls confirm, thanks.
Regards,
Wilson

for future reference
The scales apparently come in increments of 50mm

Dear John,
Thanks for that you accept use ES-12B display.
We can send GS30 scales to you for this order.
But for the length, GS30 only has 100mm, 150mm, 200mm...these normal travel length.
So how about send GS30 550mm-400mm-200mm travel scales?
Pls confirm, thanks.
Regards,
Wilson

That is very interesting. Now that I look at the Easson units on the DRO Pros website, they also only sell the optical scales in 50mm increments.

The magnetic scales are easily cut to length, custom fitting is certainly easier with the magnetic scales.

Ryan

Back