3 Phase supply

Euan Smith826

Registered
Registered
Hi all

First time poster on here.. I’ve just taken delivery of a Colchester Lathe. My work were wanting to move it on so I jumped at the chance to have it.

I’m abit of a dead end, I have 3 Phase and earth supply (4pin plug). My lathe is 3 Phase Neutral and earth (5pin plug). I’m not huge on electrical engineering but looking for a way to solve this.. is there anyway I can run my machine on that supply by using an “adapter” to change to 4pin plug or is that out of the question for this application. Any help is very much appreciated.

Euan

Attachments

• IMG_2764.jpeg
    IMG_2764.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 46
Check to see is the neutral is actually connected to anything in the lathe. It might not be. If it is connected to something, what is it connected to?
If the neutral is not connected to anything in the lathe then you could just put a matching 4 pin plug on the machine's cord. Be sure that the current rating of the outlet is sufficient for the lathe's current draw.

I have converted many European packaging machines from 5 pin to 4 pin plugs .
You shouldn’t have much problems
If you can post a picture of your lathes’ electrical panel, we can see if they are doing things with the 5th pin neutral that need to be addressed

I have converted many European packaging machines from 5 pin to 4 pin plugs .
You shouldn’t have much problems
If you can post a picture of your lathes’ electrical panel, we can see if they are doing things with the 5th pin neutral that need to be addressed
I will post a photo as soon as I can. thanks

The lathe looks nice, is it in good shape, or has it been getting tired from heavy production?
As far as I’m aware it’s been kept in dry storage for the last 2 years bought as business venture that never really materialised.

Well.

Assuming you have a 5 pin connector on the end of that cord one of the pins doesn't connect to the machine at all (blue wire). So, from what I can see you have three line (red wires at machine side and one ground (yellow/green at cord and connected to earth at the junction box.

That should make things easy ....

john

Euan, please cut the copper a little shorter, you want the insulation into the begining of that Wago style connector... that little bit can arc to the box.
insulation.jpg

Back