316 SS Threading Rod 5/8"-18 Both ends RH & LH

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So I need to thread the both ends of a piece of 5/8" 316 SS Rod. Single pointing is not an option since the rod is too long for my lathe location. One end is right hand and the other left hand. Both are 5/8"-18 thread.

1) Is cutting about 5" of thread on each end with a hand die in 316 a crazy idea?
2) I assume HSS dies would be required, I would need to purchase both LH & RH any suggestions on brand or vendor?
3) Any suggested cutting fluid to make the job easier?

It's time to reposition your lathe...

HSS die stands little chance of lasting 5" and your arms will either be exhausted or look like Popeye the Sailor when you're done. Carbide dies and lot's of dark cutting oil. Turn 1/8 turn, backup to break the chip, forward a little, backup... Get the die on straight as you can.

It won't be easy with dies and luck will be a factor of getting them on reasonably straight. In your shoes, seriously consider it's time to reposition the lathe... This is trivial on a lathe.

Ray

So I need to thread the both ends of a piece of 5/8" 316 SS Rod. Single pointing is not an option since the rod is too long for my lathe location. One end is right hand and the other left hand. Both are 5/8"-18 thread.

1) Is cutting about 5" of thread on each end with a hand die in 316 a crazy idea?
2) I assume HSS dies would be required, I would need to purchase both LH & RH any suggestions on brand or vendor?
3) Any suggested cutting fluid to make the job easier?

Stainless steels typically run oversize on the diameter and will make cutting with a die very difficult unless you can turn the area you need threaded down. For threading with a die I like the diameter to be at least .010" undersize to help the die from having to cut the crest on the thread and making it all ragged.

I'm with Ray. I'd move the lathe so you can single point them.

Is there any chance you could just weld a stainless 5" threaded bolt on each end, one being left hand thread? just thinking of the easiest way since too long for lathe ----Dave

I threaded some 3/8 316ss needing a thread length of 5".It seem like it took all day to do acouple,applying thick threading oil,turn bout 1/8 then break the chips turn another 1/8 and break the chips till I made one complete rotation then I let the SS and die cool down.Now I was using a Vermont American die so you may have a better quality die which maybe it won't take so long.But looking at the pieces that I did which was total of six,I swear couple of them look like they threaded off center,if that makes sense.I wish I would have at lease sanded down or turn down the dia.cause I think that would have made my life alot easier.Just a thought---kroll

Aloris AXA-8?? HSS or Carbide?

So you are all mostly making me think moving the lathe (and all the other stuff in the way) may be a better plan. The application is a bobstay for a sailboat so the "Popeye" reference may be appropriate. It will be exposed to salt water spray and under significant tension so I think welding on ends is not a great idea for this application. Since this is a project for my own boat and I have all winter to work on it threading with a die taking a long time isn't really a big deal, but if I need to deal with oversize rod anyway single pointing may be the easier option in the long run. I will need to practice my threading skills a bit more. My lathe is a 10" Logan. I have and AXA sized QCTP but the only threading I have done is with the old lantern tool post and the Armstrong threading tool. There isn't much meat left on the blade for that tool so I think I might be looking for something else to fit the QCTP. I'm not sure my sharpening skills are up to grinding my own yet. Does the Aloris AXA-8 threading tool work well? If yes use the HSS blade or go for the carbide?

Last edited:
I assume there's something in the way on both the headstock and tailstock end? What about making the rod in two pieces and put a threaded coupler in the middle? Might be faster than moving and realigning the lathe.

So I ended up buying a threading tool (kit #18) from Arthur R. Warner Co. http://www.arwarnerco.com/ along with some HSS inserts. I have not done the actual piece yet but I have been very successful doing both right and left hand threads on a short demo piece of 316 SS on my old Logan 820. :))

Each insert tip seems to last long enough to do about 10" of good threading of 5/8-18 316 SS after that it's starts getting a bit ugly. This might not be cost effective in a production environment but it should work fine for me.

I have also been using HSS for the other 316 work with no problems.

Nothing else to add apart from look at repositioning your lathe. I dont know how long youve had your lathe setup like this but I am surprised you havent needed more room out the back side of the spindle before

Cheers Phil

Back