33 year old Miller welder restoration

Zyox Jägergeist

Registered
Registered
Howdy!
I had picked up this miller DeltaWeld 651 welder with a s22a wire feeder for 1000$, it was in rough shape so I figured I would get her back up to snuff.
I figured it would be easier and more interesting just to edit some video, so here is part one of fixing this 33 year old girl! I currently am editing part two, but it might be a few weeks before i have it done

This was over 60 gigs of video edited down to about 400mb

Any large capacitors in the unit should probably be replaced at this ripe old age
They're the most likely component to fail over time
At the very least they should be tested for value if replacement isn't in the budget

Last edited:
Based on my "sewers of Calcutta" MIG restoration, always check the diodes with a multimeter! I had one out of the four in the bridge broken. They were Paralleled. One had the top pop off (barely visible gap) and the other was missing 1/8" of wire (vaporized).

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Any large capacitors in the unit should probably be replaced at this ripe old age
They're the most likely component to fail over time
At the very least they should be tested for value if replacement isn't in the budget
Quite wise, i will most likely test them. pretty rare ive saw them fail, but i think this unit has a monolithic amount of hours.

Based on my "sewers of Calcutta" MIG restoration, always check the diodes with a multimeter! I had one out of the four in the bridge broken. They were Paralleled. One had the top pop off (barely visible gap) and the other was missing 1/8" of wire (vaporized).

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
I will look out for that aswell, my quick lookover did not see any major problems other then a previous short that was fixed.
This unit also doesn't seem to have very much for diodes but i will have to look into it further

Little bit of a teaser...
Definitely spending way to much time on the cosmetic end of this unit xD
Screenshot_20231217-201540~2.pngIMG_20231218_173209840.jpgIMG_20240103_145847492.jpg

After a few delays and redo's here is part two.. should be able to stick it all back together in part three, minus the decals
overall I am happy with hot it is coming out

Yours is a 'youngin' -- My miller 250 is really old as well! My TIG welder is an old ECONOtig from the 60s. They both work just fine (so far). Looking forward to Part 3!

Haha yeup! She is definitely the new kid on the block compared to some!

I like how heavy these old transformer welders are, I doubt the inverters will hold up to the abuse these old girls will

Thanks for watching Dabbler, hopefully they are alright! Part three is underway~

Back