3D models of Precision Matthews mills or lathes?

Here is a PM30 model. It's a little bigger than the PM728vt. So if the PM30 fits then you have room.

Thanks for that link. (And I also just wrote a big "thanks" to the guy who created the model in SolidWorks and uploaded it to the GrabCad site.)

This is a huge help in building a stand for my PM-30 (for delivery in a few weeks) while ensuring that the bottom-most surface of its mill table and crank will clear a bench top to the left when cranked to the far left.

Here is a PM30 model. It's a little bigger than the PM728vt. So if the PM30 fits then you have room.

The down side is it is in SolidWorks format. Maybe you can contact the creator and have him export it in a different file format.
In SolidWorks you can export an assembly in many different CAD formats.

Maybe just create simple block like representation of the PM728vt based on the info on the PM site. Not pretty like your other models but it would get the job done.
Hey thanks for finding that. I use Shaper3d on my iPad and found grandad when I first got it. Looked all over and never found this model. Found a lot of other mills some small and some big and a lot of concrete stuff but never this one. Thanks again.

If you want that image from GrabCad, I could download and convert it. I would need to know what format to export it into though.
7 I appreciate that. I tried to open that file and it doesn’t work on Shapr3D. From their website it says I can import the following
  • X_T
  • STEP
  • IGES
  • STL (for reference only)
  • SHAPR
  • SLDPRT
  • SLDASM (including external references that are not stored in mesh files)
STEP would be best I guess. That the native format that Shapr3D uses. Much appreciated

Thanks for that link. (And I also just wrote a big "thanks" to the guy who created the model in SolidWorks and uploaded it to the GrabCad site.)

This is a huge help in building a stand for my PM-30 (for delivery in a few weeks) while ensuring that the bottom-most surface of its mill table and crank will clear a bench top to the left when cranked to the far left.
That’s why I really like playing with these 3d models. If they are fairly accurately created as far as dimensions and such they can be helpful.

Years ago ( 35 )we set up our machining cells this way . The engineers made up small machine models and we laid the shop out to our liking . They were and still are using a Japanese style system , a sort of TPM and still use the DBS .
That’s cool. Sure beats physically moving actual equipment around. I have very limited space and low ceilings. Had an engine hoist but it was not suitable for use in my cramped garage. End up moving things constantly. I really need a bigger work area but this is what I got and I’m happy to it.

Just wondering if anyone here has created or acquired any 3d models of lathes or mills that PM sells. I use Shapr3D not for 3d printing but for accurate layout of my garage/shop. Helps me accurately arrange my small shop. Helluva lot easier than actually moving machines around.

Trying to determine if I can fit maybe the PM728vt in my workshop. Thinking maybe if I build a stand for it with leveling feet and casters. Or heavy duty leveling casters. Not ideal but I gotta do what I gotta do.
Looking at your space I wonder if you've considered putting the right hand end of the table saw up against the right side wall.

The reason is that you can't rip anything wider than your fence allows so that would give you one wide walkway and may let you put the mill and the lathe together on the left wall.

Looking at your space I wonder if you've considered putting the right hand end of the table saw up against the right side wall.

The reason is that you can't rip anything wider than your fence allows so that would give you one wide walkway and may let you put the mill and the lathe together on the left wall.
David I have tried that and may still do it. It’s one of the few I have tried I haven’t been able to shoot down. That’s why I’m really loving this iPad 3d model thing. Now that I have mostly figured out how to use it and create models I can move it around all over the place. Very very helpful in my case.

Embarrassed to admit this but, I’ve had my lathe since October of last year. I have barely used it. I bought that fancy mx-200l dro and haven’t even been able to get it installed yet. I really need the mill to complete that project. A mini bandsaw and a file on weekends was taking so long that I eventually just gave up. I made so many brackets and ended up chunking them as they looked terrible(I’m kinda a perfectionist). It doesn’t help that I want the dro installed in a certain way. I’ll get there eventually.

Another reason I haven’t done anything project wise in many months is because mainly I’m a wood worker. I purchased a couple items that are larger than I probably should have bought like the dust cyclone and the big bandsaw but I do love them. Just huge in my little garage. Sometimes I have more funds available than sense. Oh well. It’s a work in progress.

David I have tried that and may still do it. It’s one of the few I have tried I haven’t been able to shoot down. That’s why I’m really loving this iPad 3d model thing. Now that I have mostly figured out how to use it and create models I can move it around all over the place. Very very helpful in my case.

Embarrassed to admit this but, I’ve had my lathe since October of last year. I have barely used it. I bought that fancy mx-200l dro and haven’t even been able to get it installed yet. I really need the mill to complete that project. A mini bandsaw and a file on weekends was taking so long that I eventually just gave up. I made so many brackets and ended up chunking them as they looked terrible(I’m kinda a perfectionist). It doesn’t help that I want the dro installed in a certain way. I’ll get there eventually.

Another reason I haven’t done anything project wise in many months is because mainly I’m a wood worker. I purchased a couple items that are larger than I probably should have bought like the dust cyclone and the big bandsaw but I do love them. Just huge in my little garage. Sometimes I have more funds available than sense. Oh well. It’s a work in progress.
I feel your pain. I have stuffed my small (20x20) shop full of tools.

I feel your pain. I have stuffed my small (20x20) shop full of tools.
LOL , you and me both . Only mine is 16 feet high ! :grin: When I get home , I swear I'll get get rid of some stuff ........

only to replace it . :cautious:

Back