3D Printed File Handles

Just an FYI the infill percentage isn't really that important compared to the number of perimeters and the number of top and bottom layers. That's really where you strength is coming from! (and why didn't I ever think of making these handles?)

Just an FYI the infill percentage isn't really that important compared to the number of perimeters and the number of top and bottom layers. That's really where you strength is coming from! (and why didn't I ever think of making these handles?)

So what is recommended for print settings to get adequate strength? I am still pretty new to 3D printing but will still need to make a few of these for various size files that I currently have running around naked.

So what is recommended for print settings to get adequate strength? I am still pretty new to 3D printing but will still need to make a few of these for various size files that I currently have running around naked.

In general, about 2mm walls is pretty strong. I haven't worked with this particular model yet, but they aren't under a ton of stress, so they should be fine with something near that. If your software displays that as number of layers/perimeters, multiply that by the layer height or nozzle size to get a good approximation. This assumes you are getting good layer adhesion and such. The only way to be sure about that is destructive testing. For parts like this, I usually use about 20% infill as well. They tend to hold up well.

Same here, 15 to 20 is all you need for support if strength is an issue. Less if it's not. It's generally faster to print the walls and skins rather than a lot of infill as well. There's a youtube engineer with a channel called "cnckitchen" that's done a lot of testing on the factors governing strength. It's a pretty good channel!

No 3D printer, but you did motivate me to buy a bunch of Lutz Skrooz-on handles to replace my missing and mis-fitting handles.

Here are mine printed directly from Mike's files. (Thanks Mike!)

Printed with 20% infill, 1mm shell thickness, 1mm top/bottom thickness.
No brim/raft no supports. Verbatim PLA.

handles1.jpg
handles2.jpg
handles3.jpg
handles4.jpg

Nice tight fit, I may need to knock them on a little more.

-brino

Back