3phase Wiring?

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm working on the resurrection oef a Walker Turner Light Industrial Drill Press.
I guess I'm a bit of a WT wood working machine snob.
When I saw this for $100, well...

It came without a motor.
My goal for a minimum speed was 200, and was restricted by specific pulley sizes by the pulley guards.
I picked up a two speed 3 phase motor and built a motor mount, turned a multi step pulley to fit the motor shaft.
Now for the electrical.
I have a 3 phase forward reverse, the DP came with a 3 phase on/off with thermals.
I believe I could figure out the on/off & F/R without assist. Not so much with the two speed.

I've attached pics and motor prints hoping they might be of assist.

Any suggestions for how I should best identify, purchase and install a two speed switch integrated with a forward revers an on/off with thermals?
Please note the Baldor motor pdf at the end of the pics.

Please.

And ... thank you!!!

IMG_0902[1].JPG IMG_0903[1].JPG IMG_0910[1].JPG IMG_0907[1].JPG IMG_0911[1].JPG

Attachments

• Baldor-M1007T.pdf
    544.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I think your gonna need a barrel switch like on a lathe. There might be other ways to do it, but I think thats the simplest. And the a seperate polarity switching switch for the forward and reverse... A barrel switch when setup correctly will give you the 2 speeds.

I think your gonna need a barrel switch like on a lathe. There might be other ways to do it, but I think thats the simplest. And the a separate polarity switching switch for the forward and reverse... A barrel switch when setup correctly will give you the 2 speeds.

I don't know what a barrel switch is. It might very well be the answer....
This is a pic of the internals of my forward reverse switch. Is that it?

The Baldor pdf show the wiring for the motor (my initial post).
High speed looks like 4 5 6 are connected to the 3 incoming phases.
Low speed looks like 1 2 3 are connected to the 3 incoming phases.
The two speed switch to electrical supplier sold me was a 2 pole.
Now I own a 2 pole 30Amp two speed switch (expensive).

Incidentally, while I believe I have still have a balance issue for my 20hp RTC, things are much improved I have multiple long days of operation without a thermal blowing or any evident electrical issues.

Ahhh. Please note that's electrical problems and not machining (specifically machinist---me) errors.

Daryl
MN

IMG_0905[1].JPG

Yeah, that's a barrel switch. Your gonna need 2 switches. One for forward and reverse and then one that does the speeds. We need to see the schematics for the 2 switches too. Between the PDF motor wiring and the 2 switch schematics , we should be able to get you going.

Mr. Uglydog;
First, your motor pulley is impressive. Nice work!

Next, a barrel switch is also referred to as a drum switch like you show.

Next to get two speeds, forward and reverse, you need more than what you show.

Drum switch is for forward and reverse but not two speed. Fwd/Rev is a matter of interchanging two leads of the same winding. Two speed is energizing a completely different set of windings after de-energizing the first set.

Two speed is typically done with a second contactor inter locked with first so it is impossible to energise both at the same time. This is done both electrically and mechanically.

Anything is possible so with a two speed magnetic starter, complete with two overload blocks as each speed has different overload requirements and two drum switches you could get it done. You would have to be cautious as to switch position so you would not go from high forward to high reverse with one movement. A little hard on equipment if it is not made for it.

On the other end, set the cams in the drum switch so it will only stay in one position or the other. If it goes to center, off position, the drill stops for no apparent reason until you figure it out. Getting a little complicated for me.

You would have high/low, stop pushbuttons and then two drum switch handles for forward reverse for each speed. Is there a purpose for all this or just because you can?

Added:
I guess we are posting at the same time. The two pole switch, return it and get your money back. A two pole anything is pretty useless in a three phase world. You might try and befriend an electrician for this project, you have a lot going on.

Last edited:
Mr. Uglydog:
Another thing that is going to make this more confusing is you are trying to accomplish part of the job with control wiring and part of the job with power/line wiring. Two completely different worlds.

Two speeds via contactors, control wiring.

Forward/Reverse for each speed via drum switch, line voltage wiring.

Interesting idea about two drum switches. Especially as I have several in my parts bin. I'll draw up a sketch and post it for feedback.

Why? I've read some threads about power tapping as well as the value of left hand drills.
Thought I'd add those to the long and growing list of things I've messed up.

Thank you!
Daryl
MN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Uglydog;

I have basically the same WT drill press, mine being set up in radial arm fashion. Knowing what it will do, and the numerous speeds it already offers I think I can save you some time and money. This drill is not the easiest to change speeds on that I have ever seen. Requiring a wrench and pry bar to loosen and tighten the belts each time. Next I needed, like most home shop people, a single phase motor to drive it. All the single phase motors I checked would not fit physically in the space given in the design. So I left the original three phase motor in place.

You see where I am going don't you?

An Allan Bradly VFD. High low speed for each of the sixteen already provided speeds. Forward, Reverse for those sixteen infinite speeds. Sixteen times infinite is how many speeds? Push button reset for the safeties built into the drive. 240v, 1ph to 240v, 3ph conversion. Controlled acceleration/deceleration. And so much more. All for about $230 if memory serves me. You will have far more dollars invested the way you are going. Two speed magnetic starter, 6 each thermal overload heaters, 2 each drum switches for forward/reverse operation, pushbuttons and enclosure and way more confusion on the operator end to get started. Just to get sixteen more speeds for which you are changing belts to acquire. By using the drive you have all the above with four pushbuttons and a dial at your fingertips.

I have used the drill in slow speed reverse with a left hand bit to coax out a broken bolt before. I can appreciate that very much! And you can return that expensive two speed motor also.

He's got a point there. The dollar amounts are getting to be really close.

I appreciate your input, and experience.
I've had three drum switches gathering dust.
The two speed Baldor 3phase I bought on a whim last summer for $30.
The WT came with a 3phase on/off with thermals.
I've got a bin of 20A and 30A male and female 3phase plugs I got for $5 at a garage sale.
Have a large RPC creating 3phase.
I might just wire low speed and possible forward/reverse for now to get me operational.
As I'm mostly concerned only with the low 850 RPM anyway.

Daryl
MN

Mr. Uglydog;

I have basically the same WT drill press, mine being set up in radial arm fashion. Knowing what it will do, and the numerous speeds it already offers I think I can save you some time and money. This drill is not the easiest to change speeds on that I have ever seen. Requiring a wrench and pry bar to loosen and tighten the belts each time. Next I needed, like most home shop people, a single phase motor to drive it. All the single phase motors I checked would not fit physically in the space given in the design. So I left the original three phase motor in place.

You see where I am going don't you?

An Allan Bradly VFD. High low speed for each of the sixteen already provided speeds. Forward, Reverse for those sixteen infinite speeds. Sixteen times infinite is how many speeds? Push button reset for the safeties built into the drive. 240v, 1ph to 240v, 3ph conversion. Controlled acceleration/deceleration. And so much more. All for about $230 if memory serves me. You will have far more dollars invested the way you are going. Two speed magnetic starter, 6 each thermal overload heaters, 2 each drum switches for forward/reverse operation, pushbuttons and enclosure and way more confusion on the operator end to get started. Just to get sixteen more speeds for which you are changing belts to acquire. By using the drive you have all the above with four pushbuttons and a dial at your fingertips.

I have used the drill in slow speed reverse with a left hand bit to coax out a broken bolt before. I can appreciate that very much! And you can return that expensive two speed motor also.

Last edited:
Back