3phase Wiring?

Mr. uglydog;

I don't mean to harp but I don't think you don't quite have the full drift of what is happening yet. A two speed motor requires two magnetic starters, mechanically and electrically interlocked, or two mechanically interlocked manual starters. This in turn requires two overload relays with thermal overload heaters and the necessary pilot controls to operate them in the case of the magnetic starters. The higher speed is rated full horsepower and torque. The lower speed, usually one half the first speed, has only one half the horsepower and something like one third the torque. So at low speed 100% of the time you have one helluva chunk of iron hanging there not doing much with no guts. Just a thought.

Also you mentioned power tapping. Now there is some fun stuff. Tapping holes up to 2K rpm and never harming a tap. I have three heads, all made by Tap-Matic. First two cover sizes "O" to 1/2" and I use in the mill or drill press. The taps used are plain old taps however some taps do work better then others. I only know all this from self teaching and experimenting and reading. When you engage the tap it turns until it is through the hole or meets too much resistance, then a clutch slips, stopping the tap from turning. Lifting the handle reverses the tap and it backs out of the hole. In the mid position the tap does not turn, it only goes in with down pressure and out with up pressure. In tapping through holes, the tap engages and turns, automatically extending out until through the material then reversing and returning. You don't need to move the handle farther.

The third head is an older style I use primarily on the lathe. It taps the hole and the clutch slips when resistance is encountered but you must stop and reverse the lathe to retract the tap. I find that to be no inconvenience on the lathe like I would on the mill or drill.

Hope this helps you understand all this neat stuff better. These heads are expensive but if you hate tapping a bajillion holes like I do, they are well worth it. Besides they are fun to impress people with. I got all three heads off flea bay and was lucky to have $60 or less in each one. The rubber collets used to center the taps are like gold but can be found elsewhere other than Tap-Matic. They are made by Jacobs and have their own series number. Tap-Matic wants over $50 ea---ridiculous.

Have fun and keep piling up the SWARF!

One of my best-us buddies is a retired Firefighter, so I understand.

Also it is possible to buy 2 speed drum switches with reverse capability; I have one on my lathe. It is not necessary to use magnetic starters on most home shop equiptment except air compressors of higher horsepower. I would reserve magnetic switches for machinery that runs largely unattended, or of horsepower rating that is too big for manual switches. We operate most of our tools standing in front of them; if overloaded, our noses will tell us about it before damage is done; one cause of the overload may be single phasing, where a switch may have poor contact, this is one situation where a magnetic switch will protect the motor; when it single phases, amps go up and over the rating of the OL relays and the circuit is disengaged. All this is not much of a problem in a home shop; your nose knows!

Amongst the many people at our house today was a well retired electrical engineer.
He looked at my motor, wiring diagram, read your thread, checked out my misc parts. Scratched his head and belly, expelled gas then reported that you are all correct. Yep, that was pretty much the sequence. Had nothing to do with you. He is just an amusing man.
He also, identified that between what he has laying around his shop and what I have we will only need a few parts to make both speeds and a reverse work. And work well.

He will be sending me a parts list identifying the missing parts.
It may be several weeks, but I'll post results of his thoughts and my never ending learning curve.

Once again.
Thank you all for not hesitating to question my thinking.

Daryl
MN

Excellent! THAT'S GOOD NEWS... I can usually figure these things out myself when everything is laying out in front of me...but to tell you how to do it is a different story entirely. :LOL:

Got her powered up last Sunday.
The retired electrical engineer delighted at the challenge of using the three drum switches. He supposedly had it figured out how to get 2 speeds and a forward and reverse. However, we both had concerns about if anyone could remember the combinations to get the desired results without burning out the motor due to a user err.

We decided to purchase the switch.
The on/off has thermals.
The table legs are made from large I beams left over from a bridge, the table from large channel ($500).
The two speed 3phase motor produces 3/4hp at low speed, and 3hp at high speed. Now with reverse.
.003 runout on the spindle on this early (serial# 187) Walker Turner "Light-Industrial". Vintage Machinery documents seem to corroborate the age.
Currently I've got a Riess Mfg Co, Kokomo Ind XY table and DP vise on the table.

Thank you all for your persistence that I do this correctly the first time!

IMG_0929[1].JPG IMG_0936[1].JPG IMG_0908[1].JPG IMG_0924[1].JPG

Wow, nice switch. How much was that sucker? That can't be cheap..:bitingnails:

Mr. uglydawg;

Nice job. She's a beauty and hell for stout I'm sure. You can't go wrong with Walker Turner as the core piece.

Now time for a Du Pont overhaul.

Daryl--that bench looks a little whimpy, but it will probably hold up ---really--great job on getting your drill press in operation--looking forward to seeing you on monday morning--you can look at my WT press---Dave

If you have step pulleys, why do you need to change motor speed? :think1:

If you have step pulleys, why do you need to change motor speed? :think1:

Great question!
I could have had her up and running without bothering you all, and at less expense.
However, I wanted a wider range of speeds for different metals and an occasional wood project.

Attached is a pdf extract some WT lit.
Now she will run at motor speeds of 850 and 1725.
I still need to do the calculations for spindle speeds. But, I'm guessing I'll be at sub 200rpm, whereas I'd have only 400rpm with a standard issue 1750 motor.
Besides I kept tripping on the two speed motor.

I have much to learn!
Daryl
MN

Attachments

• 1162.pdf
    89.8 KB · Views: 12
Back