4 Jaw Stand offs and the quest for concentric lathe work

Why couldn't you face off the face of the chuck to be perpendicular to the spindle and then use 123 blocks or something similar to position the work. I have not faced off any of my chucks but often place something against the face of the chuck to square the work to the chuck. Thinking off of the top of my head (or maybe the bottom) we all have multiple 3 and 4 jaw chucks. For a given chuck you can only spread out the jaws so far. Dedicate a chuck to be used with standoffs, make a stepped standoff to conform to the steps in jaws and leave it permanently mounted on the chuck. I can think of multiple variations of this. One thing with removable standoffs is that you have to keep them protected when not in use to keep them from getting dinged up. You can't just throw them in a drawer and hope for the best.

I have seen holes drilled in chucks for various accessories. There seems to be more than one way to skin this cat.
The old parallel system works too but I have to dig them out of the chip pan.

I have several different length screws but yes, this is the best idea. I will acquire or fabricate a series of standoffs that are identical. No need to adjust.
Sometimes I can't see what's in front of my face. I think i got side tracked. Oxtools, Robin Renzetti and Joe Pi all made a version of this. They were adjustable so I assumed I could pull it off.
I'm also thinking the delrin is expanding at the chuck jaw position, therefore cutting deeper at those points.
I have a plan now. Thanks guys.
I can totally relate to the complication blinders. I see something my hero’s do and get stuck on that track. I’ve only needed standoffs a couple of times got through by using parallels then pulled them out after it was clamped in the jaws. Yeah, not perfect but it was within .001. I would be all over adjustable standoffs if I had the slots for them because no matter what it seems I don’t have exactly what I need. Joe Pie’s method you just face it to what you need. And facing it every time means it’s as accurate as it can be. Brilliant.

Joe Pie’s method you just face it to what you need. And facing it every time means it’s as accurate as it can be. Brilliant.
He is an amazing machinist. Smart as a whip!
I always look forward to his new videos. Most of them are way over my head :)

He is an amazing machinist. Smart as a whip!
I always look forward to his new videos. Most of them are way over my head :)
Agreed. For whatever reason his explanations don’t intimidate me like Tom or Robin. I can’t think of a simple time saving thing I’ve ever gotten from Tom or Robin, not to say they aren’t brilliant and an incredible inspiration. But Joe is all about “get ‘er done” and his explanations are that way too.

Joe Pi's stand-offs are a nice simple solution as long as the part you are machining is a large enough diameter to sit against the stand-offs. If not, you will have to resort to something else like maybe parallels.

Ted

I use something similar for smaller parts. I took a MT3 drill chuck arbor and machined the chuck end off. Inserted into the spindle and held with a drawbar you can use a bolt/ nut for really small stuff or bolt on the aluminum standoff and machine to length/diameter.7E5A1BF6-65ED-485B-BE16-50500C6F4EAF.jpeg

I have several different length screws but yes, this is the best idea. I will acquire or fabricate a series of standoffs that are identical. No need to adjust.
Sometimes I can't see what's in front of my face. I think i got side tracked. Oxtools, Robin Renzetti and Joe Pi all made a version of this. They were adjustable so I assumed I could pull it off.
I'm also thinking the delrin is expanding at the chuck jaw position, therefore cutting deeper at those points.
I have a plan now. Thanks guys.
Joe Pie also recently had a video about getting "stuck" in your approach--it's easy to start, then things get harder and harder, when maybe you should stop and restart in a different direction. It was a good critique of BlondiHacks' challenges boring the casting for her steam engine model. Not directly related to your issue, Jeff, but I found it pretty insightful.

Learning is what I love so much about this hobby!

Joe Pie also recently had a video . . . . . It was a good critique of BlondiHacks' challenges boring the casting for her steam engine model.
I respect and have learned a lot from Joe Pie, but I regarded his "critique" of as an unnecessary misogynistic mansplaining outburst directed specifically at Quinn (BlondiHacks).

I respect and have learned a lot from Joe Pie, but I regarded his "critique" of as an unnecessary misogynistic mansplaining outburst directed specifically at Quinn (BlondiHacks).
David,
I struggled a bit with that as well, but I also think he was adding to the collective knowledge base. I’m not sure of YouTube etiquette. I certainly learned a lot. I hope Quinn is ok with it as well as I think she does a great job from the advanced student perspective.

Back