4 x 6 horizontal vertical band saw.

Wow, now that’s what I call a make-over!
Nice job, I especially like the new stand. How does the machine cut, or have you had a chance to try it much yet?

-frank

That's almost too pretty to use. I'm like you, why spend $10 on new parts when I can spend 2 hours fixing the old ones?

I have a fairly new 4x6 Grizzly cutoff band saw.

It does a decent job just slow.
1HP 110v, it is under powered.

Good saw for the price I guess.

Dale

I have a fairly new 4x6 Grizzly cutoff band saw.

It does a decent job just slow.
1HP 110v, it is under powered.

Good saw for the price I guess.

Dale

Curious, why do you feel it's underpowered? Is it because it cuts slow?

Generally that's what bandsaws (metal cutting) do, cut slow, the benefit is a cleaner cut than most other methods.

I had an Enco 4x6 & I never felt it was underpowered or have ever encountered it struggling with a cut power wise. Blade teeth pitch make a big difference on how fast something is cut but really matters on what is being cut. I used bi-metal 8-12 tpi blades the most on that saw but when I needed a faster cut on larger solid stock I would use 6-10 tpi which was the coarsest I could find prewelded.

I now have a MSC 7x12 & still use those same pitch blades but I tend to use the 6-10 tpi the most now. I use 5-8 tpi on larger stock.

VERY nice refurbishing job! Looks like you made the stand a bit higher than the original ... much better than the "stoop" level of modern saws. And a nice crank arm on the vise screw (which looks like a lot finer pitch than that on recent ones.) The bolted-on casting on the upper blade guide is also fascinating. Has an "old school" look to it, and I can see why they'd want to redesign it for lower cost on later saws. Yours is difinitely a classic!

Wow, now that’s what I call a make-over!
Nice job, I especially like the new stand. How does the machine cut, or have you had a chance to try it much yet?

-frank
Thanks, Frank. I used the saw to make the stand. IN the process I learned that it is not a standard 64.5 inch blade. It is 67 inches. I guess you know the next sentence. I found that out by breaking the blade, buying what I thought was the right blade, trying unsuccessfully to put it on the saw, developing some new and imaginative vocabulary.

Make a guard for that belt...
No belt guard planned. That may sound odd from a guy who once taught OSHA 10 and 30 hour courses. It had a guard which rattled so bad I could not hear myself think. Thanks for the advice but my plan is to be careful as was the case with my last saw.

VERY nice refurbishing job! Looks like you made the stand a bit higher than the original ... much better than the "stoop" level of modern saws. And a nice crank arm on the vise screw (which looks like a lot finer pitch than that on recent ones.) The bolted-on casting on the upper blade guide is also fascinating. Has an "old school" look to it, and I can see why they'd want to redesign it for lower cost on later saws. Yours is difinitely a classic!
Thanks Hman.

I made the stand the right height so that the surface of the saw is the same level as a stock support I have in the shop. Set the support to its lowest level and it is perfect for the saw. You are correct about the height of saws including this one when it was original. Too low. The castings and mounting for the blade guides is finicky. It make tracking adjustments an interesting process. You may also notice that the wheels on the motor end extend further out from under the saw. Makes it much more stable when the motor plate is in the vertical position. My HF saw always wanted to tip over.

More projects added to the list. My craftsman 3x6 could use all of these mod's. Thanks for posting

Back