4 x 6 horizontal vertical band saw.

I wish I could claim the credit for the ideas in those mods. In every case but one, I got the inspiration for other, more imaginative and creative folks. The only idea that is original is the longer wheelbase on the stand.

DarkZero,
The motor will stall easily.

You get mostly a dust of metal instead of a curling chip.

I FOUND IT!

Sprunger Brothers CS800 Dual Metal Band Saw. Year of manuf unknown. Serial number is in the 84xxx range. Lowest number I could find was 83xxx and highest was 87xxx. Neither were dated. It appears that serial numbers are not unique to the machine because five digit numbers in the 8xxxx region refer to all types of machinery.

Made in Ligonier, Indiana.

Company operated from 1946 until 1984

Attachments

• Sprunger 3.jpg
    Sprunger 3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 25
Wow that is an unusual one- I've never seen one with that grinding wheel feature. I'm thinking you might want to use grease in the gearbox rather than oil if you start having trouble with leaks around the bottom shaft
Nice restoration, great name. "Did your mom get out of prison yet?" "Yes they just Sprunger yesterday"!
Mark

Wow that is an unusual one- I've never seen one with that grinding wheel feature. I'm thinking you might want to use grease in the gearbox rather than oil if you start having trouble with leaks around the bottom shaft
Nice restoration, great name. "Did your mom get out of prison yet?" "Yes they just Sprunger yesterday"!
Mark
Uh Oh. I guess it is Opun Season.

Yes, already thought of the grease. What made me think of it? Leaks around the bottom shaft.

This is a clear explanation of the completely American dimensions.

A Sprunger catalogue from 1980, shows the saw. It is not included in a catalogue from 1950/

This saw and its characteristics provides some insight into the model that the Chinese companies used. The design by Sprunger is a good one. It is easily adaptable. The Sprunger organization is defunct meaning that patent issues are unlikely.

Harbor Freight seems to be on a quest for improved quality in their machine tools and equipment. I recently bought a Vulcan 220 Multifunction welder and I love it. Also bought the welding table and I have zero complaints. If one knows which iterms to avoid, HF is a viable source.

My examination of this machine compels me to conclude that, when it was new, it was of higher quality than my HF job.
The various machines made by Sprunger do not seem to generate a lot of criticism on the Internet. This one is still in pretty good shape in spite of the fact that it is at least forty years old and for much of it’s life it appears to have been rode hard and put up wet. The last five years saw it "stored carefully" outside in the rain.

I am happy to have this saw. When I get it to where I want it, my evaluation of it will be above the retail price of the Harbor Freight version.

Back