[Newbie] 40:1 Dividing head missing parts?

Except for the tailstock,the two other parts you can make yourself if you have a lathe and mill. Why don't you give it a go. It's always fun making stuff.

I actually got an adjustable tailstock (also for free) that will work for this.

Re making stuff. My mill is a Smithy CB-1220XL ( basically a Midas 1220XL) so its not so great a mill.
I am a noob so internal 1 3/4” -8 threads for the faceplate seem scary to me. Do you think aluminum woud be ok for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion, I would rather go with bright mild steel or EN8 080M40 Carbon steel or something in that range. It doesn't matter really what size mill you have as long as it can handle the size of the work piece. I am not familiar of the make of your mill,but what I am saying is if you go slow and take smaller cuts wich your mill can handle and not murder it,you will be ok. You will never know if you don't try. I had a small column tipe mill for a long time and I did jobs on it I thought it won't be able to handle, but being not too aggressive and patient, you will be surprised at what you can achieve. That's my two chips worth. But feel free to ask away on this forum, the guys are always willing to help or give advice. Good luck.

Back