4x6 Horizontal Bandsaw Recommendations

bspitz70

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Any recommendations HM members on a 4x6 Horizontal Bandsaw? Most of my machining is for parts for radio control model applications, so won't be cutting very large stock, and most of it will be aluminum. Any input on what to or not to buy would be appreciated.

Brian

Probably the best "bang for the buck" is the Harbor Freight 4" x 6" bandsaw - http://www.harborfreight.com/horizontal-vertical-metal-cutting-bandsaw-93762.html#.UxJPa4XVo3Q Find one of the 20% off coupons and the price works out to around "two and a quarter" depending on taxes, etc.

Get rid of the blade that comes on it and replace it with a good bi-metal blade and you're good to go. It has some other less than desirable qualities like a really flimsy stand but there is a lot of information on this site, let alone the rest of the net, on how to "upgrade" this machine if you so desire.

Hope that helps,

-Ron

I agree get the HF saw and google 4x6 bandsaw thare are tons of them out there. There is a yahoo group for the 4x6 with a wealth of info tips and tricks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the input, will look at HF when the snow clears here in the Indianapolis area.

Brian

I had a hf saw for years and really liked it. i "upgraded" to a larger used Kalamazoo and have been sorry i did. can't keep the blade on it. perhaps someone can help with that. I've done everything i know to correct the problem

This is one time I have no qualms on saying HF!!!! There is a tune and adjust procedure on the Yahoo site for 4X6 Bandsaws and once you perform that procedure the little red saws come alive. If you have a 20% coupon you can walk away about 160 bucks out the door. I have a HF saw and did the procedure and mine is a cutting little fool and cuts straight and consistently all the time. Get rid of the OE blade and get a couple of good Bimetal variable 14-18 TPI blades and you will be set up and have a spare too. You can get 64.5 length blades a lot of places including HD, Lowes and on the net. Most any tool store will probably have them in that size too. So don't be scared of the HF, because most if not all are made in the same factory and the only difference is the paint. Good luck and let us know how it comes out for you also.

Bob

I have a 4x6 also & it has always served me well. Pretty much the same as the HF & all the others, mine is the Enco brand but made I Taiwan. I got it for $100 locally & in excellent condition. Checl craigslist, they pop up often.

I used to use the Irwin 10-14 bimetal blades also, always on sale at Enco. But now I use the Lenox 6-10 bimetal blade, much better performance for what I cut regularly.

And change the gear oil. My saw lube was simply gross, but some people have indicated they've found all sorts of debris in the newer models that could cause damage.

Thanks everyone for the input. A lightly used Jet Horizontal was just listed on Craigslist locally, any thoughts on that saw?

Brian

Back