4x6 Horizontal Bandsaw Recommendations

Thanks everyone for the input. A lightly used Jet Horizontal was just listed on Craigslist locally, any thoughts on that saw?

Brian

I saved a 4x6 from the scrapyard got it for $40 so keep an eye for a used one .....IMHO a new one usually needs as much or more adjustments and repairs as a new one......This one I have works as it should and I haven't even replaced the old blade in it. Jets are fine ....it's the cost that matters......How much?

Thanks everyone for the input. A lightly used Jet Horizontal was just listed on Craigslist locally, any thoughts on that saw?

Brian

I own a Jet 5X6 (made in Taiwan) and its a great saw right out of the box. Other than tuning it up (see John Pitkin's guide on the Yahoo 4X6 group) it required no mods. Many refer to the HF saw as a "kit" - you have to fix some stuff to get it to work at full potential. Once you do, however, it is a good saw. The Jet requires no fixing to run well. Yes, it costs more but it is worth the cost, at least to me. I have used a HF saw and cannot fault it but if you can get the Jet for a good price I suggest you go for it.

Thank you for the input, will look at HF when the snow clears here in the Indianapolis area.

Brian

Brian, I have the HF 4 x 6 bandsaw for about 5 years. It works fine now but I spent countless hours tweaking it so it would cut square. The blade guard was removed and left off. With the guard on the saw will not shut off automatically. The guard would keep the frame off the shutoff switch.
I tried to modify the guard but to no avail. The saw as purchased could not be made to cut a plumb and square cut. Adjusting the guides was useless because the pivot was out of alignment .I had to remove the frame from the pivot, grind and file the base where the frame bolts to it.Too awkward to set up on a milling machine. After several hours I re-installed the hacksaw frame and tested it.
Much better,a few washers for shims and I could adjust the roller guides for plumb and square.
The "oil" in the transmission box is more like crud. I cleaned it out and replaced it with 120 weight gear oil.The blade stretched so much after an hour of cutting that the tension could not be maintained.I replaced the blade with a 14 tpi bi-metal blade from Morse.
I bought the saw with a 20% off coupon combined with a sale price, paid $159.00 or so including tax in 2009.If I was to do it over again I would have bought another brand, Enco,Grizzly etc.
I doubt I would have to do as much tweaking on other brands to get it to cut well.

mike

Brian

I have a JET 4X6 that I have been using for about 8 years and it has not let me down.
Unless you are really short, the low stand really will kill your back, I pitched the factory stand and made a taller one.

001.JPG

Last edited:
My 4 X 6 horiz band saw is an ancient Menards bought over 25 years ago. I assume it is of Taiwan origin. This old girl continues to cut straight consistently just as it did right "out of the box".

"They just don't make things as good as they did in the old days" some times really applies.

Mine is an Enco. Unfortunately it is now being retired as my Ellis will replace it. It has a been a good saw for the last 8-10 years.

Enco Saw 1.JPG Enco Saw 4.JPG

There is a cupon for the HF saw in home shop machinist for $179. You can't lose! Just bought a new HF a couple months ago. It's better than my old enco.
dave

In my opinion all those newer 4x6 saws are all the same castings but some look like they have better parts than others.
I have had a Grizzly one for years, I bought it before I could afford quality equipment and it still works. You have to chase it a little to keep it cutting straight and square, but its a decent piece of junk. I think Grizzly is a better investment than HF, The parts should be easier to get.

Thanks everyone for the input. Have a call in to go see the Jet saw I mentioned in a earlier post. The guy is asking $300 and says it hasn't been used much.... we'll see. There's a HF on the north side of Indianapolis I'm planning on going to this weekend.

Thanks again HM members.

Brian

I figured it makes more sense to add this quick question here than starting a new thread:

Can someone save me a trip to Harbor Freight to determine how tall the 4x6 bandsaw is when fully closed, so I can plan the bench I'm setting up around having one stored under it someday? For that matter, how about the full envelope (LxWxH) I will need for the same? These dimensions aren't listed on their site, and all my googling has brought me numerous discussions about the size of workpieces or modifications, etc.

Thanks!

Back