5/8" Tool on a 1228

Aurelius

Registered
Registered
Hello,
I have been getting my 1228 dialed in and getting used to using it and I came across a question I hope you guys can help me with.
I have a Seco CFZR 0632802DRB cutoff tool and, when I ordered my lathe, I got the AXA holder that accommodates the 5/8" shank. No problems there.
When I tried using it, it seemed that the insert was above the center line of the lathe. I have included a pic below. The problem is I believe I have the toolholder all the way down. In fact, I think it is actually sitting on the compound, not being supported at all by the screw on the tool holder.

So my questions are this:
1. Am I correct that that is too high and the cutting edge should be lower?
2. Is there a way to shim it or something to tilt the tool downward a bit?

I'm really hoping there is a solution because I was lead to believe there would be no issues using it and I really think it is just about perfect for what I want and would hate to have it not be usable.
Thanks!

0.jpg

I would probably mill the bottom of the tool holder down a bit. If you have a mill...
And then to make it look pretty I would put it in your surface grinder to get that mirror finish. ;)

I was afraid people were going to suggest something like that.
Sadly, no mill (or surface grinder for that matter). :(
I guess I'm gonna have to look around and see if I may know someone who knows someone locally.

Sadly, no mill (or surface grinder for that matter).
Ahhhh... the perfect time to expand your machine tools! I see you are in Pittsburgh which means you could trot down to PM and buy a new mill. Whew! Crisis averted!
It should be pointed out that spending $4-5k on a new machine to fix a $20 part is not only perfectly acceptable but nearly required. :)

lol
I've barely gotten the lathe dirty at this point.
While I would like ot pick up a mill at some point in the future, that point is, unfortunately, not now.
Anybody near Pittsburgh with a mill that would like to help me out on this one?

Afraid that is the only solution. I had to mill down an Aloris AXA-8 threading tool by 0.050" for it to fit my lathe. Same thing, couldn't hit centerline with toolholder resting on the compound. I was unhappy about doing it to a new tool, but in my case, it was the only thing that I could do to make it work. Seems I have a compound that is 0.050" higher than most.

How far above centerline are you? That might dictate what you can do in your shop.

A few thousandths you could sand off, a lot more than that, you would be better served by machining or grinding it off. Something in your favor is the bottom of the toolholder isn't a precision surface, so sanding or grinding that surface with crude means won't compromise the function. I machined mine and later touched it up with a hone to smooth out the milling marks. It wasn't necessary, but it made me feel like I hadn't butchered the toolholder.

Let me measure and I'll post later.
I think that rod was 15mm OD which would make this a mm or two at the worst, but rather than eyeball it that's what we have measurement tools for, no?

I'd probably suggest milling off the bottom of a tool holder so you can use 5/8" holders in the future.

The nice part is you can mill off the bottom on a lathe by just holding it 'butt down' in a 4 jaw and turning the bottom.

EDIT: Another point: The bottom of the tool holder is a non-precision surface. So you could do that with an angle grinder without problem.

Back