5/8" Tool on a 1228

Providing the tool holder works with your other tools (presumably 1/2"), I'd be inclined to take an angle grinder to the bottom of your $30 tool....or take your tool to a bench grinder to do the same.

By "$30 dollar tool" I'm assuming you mean the 250-101XL? If so, yeah, that looks to be the direction this is going.
If you meant the cutoff tool itself, it is appreciable more than a $30 tool hence my reluctance to mess with it if I could at all avoid it.

Providing the tool holder works with your other tools (presumably 1/2"), I'd be inclined to take an angle grinder to the bottom of your $30 tool....or take your tool to a bench grinder to do the same.
I suggested the tool holder because I see it as two problems with that:

1- The tool itself is $30 vs the $20 for a replacement tool holder.
2- The 'bottom' of the tool itself ends up being a 'precision' surface, as messing it up would change the angle of the cutter.

Hello,
I have been getting my 1228 dialed in and getting used to using it and I came across a question I hope you guys can help me with.
I have a Seco CFZR 0632802DRB cutoff tool and, when I ordered my lathe, I got the AXA holder that accommodates the 5/8" shank. No problems there.
When I tried using it, it seemed that the insert was above the center line of the lathe. I have included a pic below. The problem is I believe I have the toolholder all the way down. In fact, I think it is actually sitting on the compound, not being supported at all by the screw on the tool holder.

So my questions are this:
1. Am I correct that that is too high and the cutting edge should be lower?
2. Is there a way to shim it or something to tilt the tool downward a bit?

I'm really hoping there is a solution because I was lead to believe there would be no issues using it and I really think it is just about perfect for what I want and would hate to have it not be usable.
Thanks!

View attachment 402469
Face off the bottom of the tool in the lathe. You won't need a 4 jaw chuck, with care a 3 jaw will hold it.

Interestingly, I think that makes it WORSE, rather than better!

Based on this picture: the normal '101': https://www.shars.com/files/products/202-9401/202-9401sketch.jpg

measure .938" to the top of the slot, and a slot height of .5". That makes the 'bottom flange' .438".

The #1XL Dimensions: https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-mzp..._axa1_55026501_line__67227.1614021892.jpg?c=2

show it as 1.125" and .625" for the same measurements, making it .500" for hte bottom flange. SO this holds the tool 62 thou higher!
You are correct, my bad!

Bruce

If the QC tool holder will drop further into the wedge by removing stock from it's bottom, that works. It seems me (from 5000 miles away) that you're trying to use a 5/8" tool on a lathe/tool post combination that's set up for 1/2" or 3/8". Happy grinding either way.

Incidentally, your dilemma suggests an answer to a question I posted about using a BXA vs AXA tool post on a 1228 lathe. It appears there is virtually no wiggle room in terms of keeping 1/2" tools below CL using AXA on a 1228.

If the QC tool holder will drop further into the wedge by removing stock from it's bottom, that works. It seems me (from 5000 miles away) that you're trying to use a 5/8" tool on a lathe/tool post combination that's set up for 1/2" or 3/8". Happy grinding either way.

Incidentally, your dilemma suggests an answer to a question I posted about using a BXA vs AXA tool post on a 1228 lathe. It appears there is virtually no wiggle room in terms of keeping 1/2" tools below CL using AXA on a 1228.
Kind of depends on your lathe. My compound is 0.050" higher than a fellow HM member's lathe, although we have the same model. Quality control? Maybe.

I wouldn't say that. I have the AXA nad there is a good bit of room for adjustment using 1/2" tools. This whole problem arose when I decided I wanted to use this monster cutoff tool that pushes the specs a bit. I would go so far as to say that even normal 5/8" tooling would probably be mostly ok. I feel like a good bit of my issue is stemming from the overall size and design of this particular holder.

I've noticed that design differences between insert parting tools differ enough that I can use a 3/4" shank for some but others push the limits at 5'8" for my S and B 1024. Live and learn. Dave

4 sure - Life & Education are renewed each day. Lost when we don't practice it.

Back