5" Shop Vice

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
So I busted my old China made 4" vice. I would like to buy an American made 5" vice but I am not having any luck for under several hundred dollars. Not that I don't mind spending more for USA Made, it's just overkill for my little cart that I want to put it on. So China made it is. Here are a couple I have looked at.

Here is a USA made vice, and super nice but spindy!

This is my first choice!

Here is a Wilton 5" made in China, but at an extra $100 bucks I'm not sure it's any better then the Forward vice of my number one choice.

Here is another Wilton I believe also made in China but at $340 bucks it's probably a nice vice.

Tim

Winegrower

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I would go for the $99 vise, which I only use for gripping, squeezing and beating on, and put the savings toward a good mill vise, where it matters.

Dabbler

Administrator
Staff member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I know how this sounds, but hear me out...

Why don't you go to tailgate sales and garage sales, be patient and pick up a US made Wilton or British (or American) made Record. I second the craigslist or Kijiji approach.

I'm going to get flamed for this but I've used both Wilton and Record vises in an industrial context. I'm 100% on the Record side.

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Thanks for the input guys, I kind of like the one that @jwmelvin posted. I have checked out CL some nothing close to me, shipping even across the state for a vice is probably about a dollar a pound. I will keep an I on CL and Facebook market place for a few days before ordering one.

KyleG

Registered
Registered
He now makes an 1500$ version...

I saw that. Yikes! $$$

The smaller ones are made overseas and re branded. I found an identical one as the Capri Tools 10515. A Yost ADI-5 may or may not be the same thing painted red; photos of it vary slightly.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock