51 Pound Aluminum Bar

For $10, there are a lot of projects in that thing.

Says the dimensions are 42"x4"x4". IIRC I paid a bit over $2 per lb for 6061 last week. Listing doesn't say what grade alumn it is though.

If you have a use for it my local scrap yard charges $1.50 lb for alum. some of it marked with alloy & temper so I would say up to $76.50 is fair. If you don't have a likely use for it but just enjoy having it around I'd say maybe $20. If you don't have use for it and likely will put it away and forget about it I'd say 0.
This from a guy that has 9 anvils that he just enjoys having around.................Bob

Yes I’d go out and bid $.50 a pound. If you get lucky you may get for less. I got lucky on delrin like that when I got the saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For $h!+$ and giggles I used an online metal weight calculator and went through all the known aluminum alloys they had listed to see if i could tentatively identify which alloy it is based on weight at the given specs. Theoretically i should have been able to somewhat narrow down the alloy if it was mass produced. However for the size dimensions listed the lowest weight i should have gotten was around 63/64 pounds. This block is listed at 51 pounds so either someone made an error with size or stated weight or maybe it could be a "recycled" blend of different alloys however there is still a rather large weight discrepancy regardless of which alloy it ends up being if it is aluminum and those are the correct measurements.

For $h!+$ and giggles I used an online metal weight calculator and went through all the known aluminum alloys they had listed to see if i could tentatively identify which alloy it is based on weight at the given specs. Theoretically i should have been able to somewhat narrow down the alloy if it was mass produced. However for the size dimensions listed the lowest weight i should have gotten was around 63/64 pounds. This block is listed at 51 pounds so either someone made an error with size or stated weight or maybe it could be a "recycled" blend of different alloys however there is still a rather large weight discrepancy regardless of which alloy it ends up being if it is aluminum and those are the correct measurements.

Maybe it's got some hollows or holes drilled in it. Or maybe it's just diet aluminum. :big grin:

Back