51 Pound Aluminum Bar

In my part of the world aluminum scrap is unobtainable. we'd pay a lot more than the proposals and be happy. It's material - buy it!

here is a guy I have bought from...

That's a good seller. I buy all my copper rounds from them when I don't want to buy 3ft lengths (minimum) from my local supplier. Their prices are very good, for the copper anyway, I've never purchased alumn online.

Hmmm…...be cool if it turned out to be magnesium . We could light it up so everyone on the east coast could see it ! :encourage:

Except Magnesium would weigh only about 42 pounds...

Titanium ? Berrilium , Unobtainium ? Someone has to purchase it . :grin:

Aluminum around here goes for $4.50lb new.

Im sure it COULD be just about anything in the mix but a magnesium aluminum alloy could produce the weight discrepancy for sure. The same sized block of magnesium (42"x4"x4") would weigh about 43.5 pounds so mixing this with any aluminum would reduce the end products weight to size ratio for sure!

The density calculates to 2.1 g/cc. There are two aluminum/magnesium alloys; H2010 and H2011 containing about 25% and 50% magnesium, respectively. Magnesium has a density of about 1.8 g/cc vs. 2.7 g/cc for aluminum. This would suggest that it would be one of these two alloys. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a published density for either alloy and densities don't necessarily change linearly with composition but if I were to guess, it would be the H2011. Matweb has some mechanical properties for the alloys.

Back