5mt To 5c Adapter

Swerdk

Registered
Registered
Where to buy? I have lots of 5c collets and no way to use them. I want to go cheap and use a adapter that will screw into a rod of sorts. - pm1236 with 1 1/2 inch spindle
I look through MSC and Enco but don't see wording.
Can anyone give me a part number or page out of those books. I can really use help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizzly has that part. The part number is P4026001 and I bought one a little over a year ago for $112. That was a lot more than the price was a short time before I ordered it. I have no idea what the price is now. You will need to call Grizzly to get the current price and check stock. The one I received has .0006" runout, my lathe has .0002" runout. Ray Caniglia on YouTube has several videos on getting one that was accurate. He finally ground it in place with his tool post grinder, and that is what I am going to do as well.

There are some people on the web who have made their own collet closers and have details on their web sites on how they did theirs. PM me if you want the links.

Edit: The part number above is for 5MT spindle to 5C collet

Doesn't it have a 5mt spindle hole? My 12x36 does and I use a 5mt to 5c adapter. Part number P4026001 from grizzly $98.00. I find it in the parts list for the G4026 collet closer that fits the G4002 and G4003 lathes. The collet closer is $353.00. I just use the adapter and built my own drawbar....no fancy closer.

I will check it out

I will purchase it but appreciate the extra info. Wouldnt mind seeing pics of completed back end. People talk about welding a turning wheel. No welder yet

Wow you have given me a lot to chew on

I said I was making a collet closer. Actually, I am making a drawbar, mostly from stuff I had on hand. It will be similar to the ones I linked to and is partially completed (laziness.) It will be for my Kent KLS-1340A lathe. It will have a thrust bearing and will also incorporate an outboard spider in the design, which required very little added outboard length to include.

What is a thrust bearing

Look at the links I sent you. At least one shows a thrust bearing. The thrust bearing reduces friction when tightening the drawbar so you get a stronger pull on the collet while using less energy to turn the handle.

Back