5mt To 5c Adapter

Thank you I will check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No they did not I found it under a different part number that replaced the previous one I apologize but I do not have that one with me right now

If you are interested I will get it through

P4034025. Still about $100

I said I was making a collet closer. Actually, I am making a drawbar, mostly from stuff I had on hand. It will be similar to the ones I linked to and is partially completed (laziness.) It will be for my Kent KLS-1340A lathe. It will have a thrust bearing and will also incorporate an outboard spider in the design, which required very little added outboard length to include.
hello BOB
Seeing U are making this, pray do tell what are the correct THREAD PITCHES on both the INTERNAL and EXTERNAL Thread of a 5C Collet.
What are the measurements of both these Dimensions to work on. Inches / Fractions/ Decimals will do as we can convert accurately or use same
Been battling some time to get these exact Dimensions which ( Threads ) I would like to cut on my machine for a long-standing project
Thanks a stack in advance
regards
aRM

hello BOB
Seeing U are making this, pray do tell what are the correct THREAD PITCHES on both the INTERNAL and EXTERNAL Thread of a 5C Collet.
What are the measurements of both these Dimensions to work on. Inches / Fractions/ Decimals will do as we can convert accurately or use same
Been battling some time to get these exact Dimensions which ( Threads ) I would like to cut on my machine for a long-standing project
Thanks a stack in advance
regards
aRM
Hi ARM,
I am not sure where you are going here. The PUBLISHED sizes of 5C collet outside threads that I could find while searching some time ago are from 1.238"-20TPI to 1.240-20. Published sizes for the internal thread are from 1.041-24 to 1.047-24. So there is some disagreement among those posting the data. There is for sure some size disagreement in what collet manufacturers actually ship, which is all that really matters. Whatever size YOURS actually are, you need to make them fit. If you have different brands around, measure the actual thread dimension of the collet you want to thread too, outside threads for most drawbars and collet closers, inside dimension for most collet work stops. In the case of a 1.240-20 outside thread, the thread depth you would like will be about .050" for a 75% thread, so sneak up on a root diameter of about 1.140", testing the fit as you get close. When you are final cutting the threads, your collets becomes your test gages. If you have multiple brands and lots, try them all and see if they will fit when you get close to the finished thread diameter. You will find that some will fit tighter than others. Open it up until all will fit or until you are concerned that the smaller ones are getting looser than you would like, at which point you can get rid of any oversized collets and get something else, or make it fit the bigger ones and get rid of any loose fitting ones. They will probably all work OK at some unmeasured but trial tested size. The 5C internal threads are not designed for use with a drawbar or collet closer. Make your work stop fit those threads. Am I answering your question?

Reactions: ARM
Hi ARM,
I am not sure where you are going here. The PUBLISHED sizes of 5C collet outside threads that I could find while searching some time ago are from 1.238"-20TPI to 1.240-20. Published sizes for the internal thread are from 1.041-24 to 1.047-24. So there is some disagreement among those posting the data. There is for sure some size disagreement in what collet manufacturers actually ship, which is all that really matters. Whatever size YOURS actually are, you need to make them fit. If you have different brands around, measure the actual thread dimension of the collet you want to thread too, outside threads for most drawbars and collet closers, inside dimension for most collet work stops. In the case of a 1.240-20 outside thread, the thread depth you would like will be about .050" for a 75% thread, so sneak up on a root diameter of about 1.140", testing the fit as you get close. When you are final cutting the threads, your collets becomes your test gages. If you have multiple brands and lots, try them all and see if they will fit when you get close to the finished thread diameter. You will find that some will fit tighter than others. Open it up until all will fit or until you are concerned that the smaller ones are getting looser than you would like, at which point you can get rid of any oversized collets and get something else, or make it fit the bigger ones and get rid of any loose fitting ones. They will probably all work OK at some unmeasured but trial tested size. The 5C internal threads are not designed for use with a drawbar or collet closer. Make your work stop fit those threads. Am I answering your question?

Hello there BOB
This has answered more than my question - perfecto !!!
Now we have some genuine figures / Numbers to clearly work on.
Just one more item, please - what would be both the Outside and Inside good, average Dimensions to start with ??? Ballpark figures will do. Need not be to the Thousandth !!!
As U can see we are a bit on the duh side when it comes to these technicalities.
Sorry 'bout that
U are a .............. * !!!
Thanks a Zillion and
LORD BLESS
aRM

Last edited:
The Chinese made 5C collet set I have measures about 1.233" O.D. average, 1.004" I.D. average. That is simply measuring the outside thread with a micrometer and the inside thread with a 6" electronic caliper. The pitch diameters are anyone's guess. Yours may be different.

Reactions: ARM
The Chinese made 5C collet set I have measures about 1.233" O.D. average, 1.004" I.D. average. That is simply measuring the outside thread with a micrometer and the inside thread with a 6" electronic caliper. The pitch diameters are anyone's guess. Yours may be different.
Thanks again BOB
Take care
aRM

Back