5W-30 as way oil?

Did the mill arrive?

It arrives tomorrow. I'll be posting pictures or maybe even a video of its arrival and unpacking. I'll be using the "cribbing" method to lift the mill off the pallet using my engine hoist. There's no video of it on Youtube and maybe I can be the first one to upload one on there for future reference.

I have read that the newer motor oils and greases are harmful to brass. I understand it is more an issue with gears then just touching something made from brass. If you do not know for sure that there is no brass, or bronze gears in the knee, then I would look at a different lube. I know I would hate to find out in two years that I have a gear gone bad.

When I go to my oil supplier, they start with the same base oil then add components to vary the resulting oil.

Mobil makes spindle oils of various weights. If it were me, I would get some of it with the correct ISO.

Ted

it never ceases to amaze me, someone will spend hard earned money on a piece of equipment, then won’t want to use the correct oil, specified by the manufacturer.

Back