• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

6X12 Horizontal Band Saw Cutting Issue with Aluminum

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I am using a 8/12 3/4" blade. It has very little use. I noticed when I let the saw cut aggressively, a chunk of chips will stick to the blade. This causes it to jump when it cycles around. I can knock it off with a brush as it comes around.
I am using wax. I do have the Kool Mist I could apply to the cuts.
I was cutting a piece of aluminum, 1" thick by 4" wide.
It did cut straight, I'm not complaining about the quality of the cut.
I can slow it down or speed it up. I'm not sure what speed I am running. I don't have a guide for the pulleys, it just seems right.
Marvel 612.
Thanks

dlane

Active User
I was just cutting 1x6” aluminum on my horizontal 10-1/2 blade, WD 40 worked good

benmychree

John York
Yes, definitely use a lubricant, WD is OK, or kerosene.

Janderso

All these years I have heard WD40 is worthless until I got into machining. You guys use it all the time.
I'll give it a shot. I am cutting spacers for my DRO.

dlane

Active User
That’s about all it’s good for , displacing water and cutting aluminum

ezduzit

Active User
Registered
There should be a "wire brush" attachment on the bandsaw that clears the blade of chips. I use the wax stick lube.

Janderso

I have seen those wire brushes.
This old saw is not currently equipped.
I just bought some wd 40

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
You can easily equip your saw with a standard wire brush for a drill or a grinder and quick custom bracket.

Janderso

Holy Schnikies!
I just chucked up the same piece of aluminum, let the blade ride the wind with WD 40.
It cut straight, smooth and fast.
Less than 45 seconds to cut this piece.
Thank you WD40. Thank you Hobby Machinist's Forum !
I am a Premium Member because I find value with the information I get from you wonderful, like minded people.
See PIC.

Attachments

dlane

Active User
Did the coors light help, wd 40 also helps milling aluminum, but tapmatic is what I use when tapping alu.

Janderso

Coors Light lubricates the operator. Just one before supper.

GCM

Self Trained Hobby-Machinist
Registered
I saw somewhere on the web from an old guy who advised to use a piece of wood. I tried that and it is working very good. I just held a piece of 2x4 on the blade as it passes as a test. I was quite surprised to see the stuck alu chips falling of the blade when it passes through the wood.

Janderso

2” aluminum stock, cut very fast and clean. I got the guide bearings adjusted properly.
This old Marvel 612 has been re-born.

Attachments

[6]
[5] [7]