7" of Shapely Goodness

Dave Bonzo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So, I went to buy a lathe...but it seems that I'm not very good at doing that, because I ended up with a shaper instead.

Pictured: Things I've stuffed into the back of my Toyota, Item # 368

PXL_20230422_191513158.jpg

This was part of a package deal that included a somewhat-worse-for-wear Clausing 200 that I haven't entirely walked away from, yet; I honestly think the lathe is pretty decent, I just don't trust my own evaluation abilities enough to say whether or not I can bring it fully back up to spec...and I'm not good enough with a lathe to know whether the screw-ups are my own fault or that of the machine. That being said, the seller and I got along pretty well - me not nitpicking and bashing his tooling probably helped - so when I asked, he agreed to sell me this little thing. I think it's in pretty decent shape. See what I did, there?

Pictured: For reference, it's one of these.

PXL_20230422_232007429.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

I haven't finished fully assessing it, yet, but from what I can tell, it's pretty clean...well, rather, it isn't clean at all because it hasn't run in ten years or so, but it's clean underneath all the grime and dust. Attached are a few shots from when we unloaded it into my still-in-progress and very-crammed-full garage.

PIctured: From the front, including a fun little work light. Gonna have to keep that.

PXL_20230422_231945251.PORTRAIT.jpg

Pictured: Mmmmm...levers...

PXL_20230422_231957334.PORTRAIT.jpg

Pictured: Mmmmm...Japanned cast iron...I think.

PXL_20230422_231934245.PORTRAIT.jpg

Pictured: Not just one, but two intact guards...which is evidently kind of a thing, I'm told.

PXL_20230422_232031813.PORTRAIT.jpg

Pictured: Original motor? Made by Sunlight, via Packard Electric. Gotta look this one up.

PXL_20230422_232043417.PORTRAIT.jpg

Pictured: Markings look pretty clean...and I think the rust-colored stuff is mostly congealed oil, and not actual rust.

PXL_20230422_232257479.jpg

Pictured: Surprisingly-good knurling!

PXL_20230422_232225489.jpg

Pictured: Last but not least, my favorite part of the machine.

PXL_20230422_232020623.PORTRAIT.jpg

I got what I consider to be a decent deal on it; after checking it out at the seller's shop, I figured I could get it up and running and do a light restore on it and then start making metal shavings in the mellowest, most Bob-Rossiest of all possible ways...but I may not have much work to do on this one, to be honest. Everything seems to be mostly-free and moving - somewhat stiff, granted - and the interior looks clean. There's a bit of light scarring on the top of one way, and the vise jaws have some scratching, and there's not much of a stand included...but it's a pretty clean little machine, overall. I need to look up some history on it and download a manual and learn how to set up the thing before I accidentally break it, and I think I would like some period-correct wrenches for it, because that's something that I am missing: I think I need a 5/16" square or eight-point, 3/8", 1/2" and 7/8" hexes or open-ends, possibly a 7/8" 12-point because of where the vise lockdown bolt is positioned, and the two weird ones...which are 19/32" and 25/32", amazingly. And that many wrenches will need a drawer, and if I have a drawer then I have to have something for the drawer to rest inside-of, which means a stand, and...okay, yeah, this is kind of a project after all.

Anyway, that's what I picked up today; it's the first larger tool that I've bought that I would actually consider "vintage" - my late-80's drill press doesn't count - and I'm already kind of fond of it. Now it just needs a decent lathe and a pint-sized mill to go with it.

Nice score. It has the vise also a big plus.

It's a nice little vise, too; right now it's pretty stiff because the screw is dry and dusty, but I'll get it cleaned up and working soon enough.

Very nice! You've probably already found these, but.... documentation available at VintageMachinery.org:

AMMCO (brochures and manual)
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=2219&tab=3

Delta-Milwaukee also sold that machine, and have what looks to be a more comprehensive manual (1951, 20 pp)
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=18086

Larry F.
Thanks for the link, Larry; I had the manual already, but there's a basic schematic for the cabinet that they offered as well...which kind of makes me wish I still worked in a cabinet shop. I was thinking about finding some kind of period-correct-ish stand, or making something workable out of something else; the stand that it's on now is kind of...askew.

I have had the same shaper for about 10 years now. Mine came from the Badger Army Ammunition Depot equipment auction in Baraboo WI. It was originally purchased when the facility opened in 1942. It had been there for 62 years when the place closed, and everything was liquidated in preparation to restore the land to park and recreation areas.

Mine has the obligatory OD paint job and is on an OD metal stand. Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• DSC09994.JPG
    DSC09994.JPG
    400.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC09995.JPG
    DSC09995.JPG
    502.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC09996.JPG
    DSC09996.JPG
    531 KB · Views: 35
I wouldn't pass on the lathe because of the notches in the bed. Not an uncommon mod on lathes without a removable gap and it's a non critical area.

Looks like you did well. Appears to be very complete and in good condition. I have the same machine, even including the "War Production Board" tag. It doesn't get used a lot, but they are a fun machine to operate.

Ted

I wouldn't pass on the lathe because of the notches in the bed. Not an uncommon mod on lathes without a removable gap and it's a non critical area.
I would agree. My 10” Seneca Falls machine has a couple notches filed in the ways to allow the Chuck jaws to open wide enough to hold large stock. The carriage won’t get to them with a quick change tool post. It’s been this way going on 100 years and hasn’t caused any problems.

I had posted this in the old thread, but I will post it here too.

AMMCO shapers weigh around 220#s, so they are definitely moveable by two people. I have an older one that uses flat belts, and one thing I learned is that you have to completely disassemble it to to work on most of the internals. And that starts with flipping it over on its side. The ram only comes off when you disconnect it from the bottom. That might have changed in the update to V-belts, but just keep it in mind. The bull gear is not made of metal, but it is available, albeit from a limited source. If you need that, let me know and I will dig out the link. I think the guy is in Tillamook, but not sure on that.

Neat machines in any case.

Back