70 C10 resto-mod (was Chevy culture shock)

Drywall. Some home builders are using that for structure nowadays. Stupid, just spend the money and use proper sheathing and not depend on improperly installed metal strapping!

Drywall. Some home builders are using that for structure nowadays.
There was a system widely used in the'50's for interior partition walls that used strips of drywall layered together to form "studs". The face drywall was applied to both sides. Done using drywall mud as the adhesive. Actually quite sturdy. Total thickness 2 1/2". Top & bottom plates were wooden 2x2s. These are partitions only, not structural.

I have seen that style of interior wall build once in 60 years. It had corrugated cardboard triangles as spacers in the void areas. My 1952 house uses drywall lathe with plaster finish. Regular 2x4 studs.

A large builder had several homes collapse TWICE in high winds. Wall construction was not good enough for a 60 mph wind. Engineers for the government set the standard and failed again.

To solder or crimp splices is typically a theological discussion on car forums, but I soldered this one using this method:

Went to start the beast the other day and found the battery was toast. Tried the condition mode on the Vector charger, but no joy. Turns out it was a 30mo battery built in Nov of 2017, so I got my money's worth.
Went to start it today and realized the booster is not ideally placed for the dipstick or filler cap, so I may move those to the passenger side

Attachments

• IMG_5481.jpg
    IMG_5481.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5483.jpg
    IMG_5483.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
What I gather from reading about this^^ is that soldered connections will work-harden and get brittle if you don't have strain relief.

Last edited:
Got her started with moderate effort. Had to prime the q-jet, and it took a few tries before she'd pull from the tank. She's dieseling on shutdown, among other things, so I'll have to redo the basic tuning ritual to fix those setbacks
Got her rolling in the driveway to check the brakes and all was good, so I took her around the block for the first time in too damned long and got her set up so I can finish securing the lines on the crossmember.
I also swapped the old cracked 17" steering wheel for a 15" repro, which will help driving position, and I'll be able to set the e-brake without opening the door now ;-)

Back