7000lb Monarch In Cleveland Ohio

If MOST of your parts to make are in the 1-8” diameter range. IMHO, that lathe would be a mistake. Wrong spindle speeds, too slow. Would lack the sensitivity to feel cuts. You would need to continuously bend over to see your work. If you have a bad back this would do you in. Tool holder, chuck adapters and other stuff for it would be pricey because of the size needed. To list a few not's.

Last edited:
Perhaps a better fit but it all depends on what you want to do with it?

You would probably be better off with something in the 12x36 to 14x40 size range, in the 1000-2000lb range. It would take much more common tooling/chucks, and have the speed/features you would need for gunsmith work. At the price of the machines you are looking at and the cost of shipping, you are close to the price of something like a new G4003G which would come with chucks, would be ready to go and delivered to your garage.

Maybe it's time to take a deep breath and evaluate your actual needs before you jump too far.:)

I don't disagree, but I also look at all the reviews/opinions on the inter webs and feel if i can, I should buy an older American/European lathe instead of the Taiwan/China stuff.

I really want a solid precision machine, however the restoration of old world machinery is something that also appeals to me, so that is a small part of wanting an lder machine.

Also to MKSJ's post, if I could get the LeBlond 2000lb,1750 RPM for $500. I may end up with $3000 in it or more but it would be at smaller installments and end up with what I feel is a better machine.

If I am just dead wrong please tell me, I really don't know my lathe from a whole in the ground. hahahaha

LeBlond built those machines with much care and precision, IMO. I have run more than one and never been disappointed. If the work envelope suits your purposes and the speeds don't bother you, then I believe it would be closer to what you should be looking for than the original Monarch in your post. If there is something wrong with it, parts may be a little harder to find than for some lathes, but that's the gamble you take with any older machine tool as a project. And, there is always resale if it turns out not to be what you really want or need. I'm sure you could get your money back, and possibly a small profit if you did nothing but a good cleanup and light refurbish. It's not going to profit you to get in depth as a rebuild, because the commercial market, where the money for machines really is, isn't all that interested these days in that type of lathe.

I would say if you can handle the transport yourself, you'd come out ok, but if you paid the premium riggers/movers.....not so much. You would have more in moving than in the machine.

LeBlond built those machines with much care and precision, IMO. I have run more than one and never been disappointed. If the work envelope suits your purposes and the speeds don't bother you, then I believe it would be closer to what you should be looking for than the original Monarch in your post. If there is something wrong with it, parts may be a little harder to find than for some lathes, but that's the gamble you take with any older machine tool as a project. And, there is always resale if it turns out not to be what you really want or need. I'm sure you could get your money back, and possibly a small profit if you did nothing but a good cleanup and light refurbish. It's not going to profit you to get in depth as a rebuild, because the commercial market, where the money for machines really is, isn't all that interested these days in that type of lathe.

I would say if you can handle the transport yourself, you'd come out ok, but if you paid the premium riggers/movers.....not so much. You would have more in moving than in the machine.

With the sub 3000lb of the Leblond I would definitely feel more confident in moving myself.

I have a thread in the beginners forum http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/hello-from-ohio.49656/ asking for opinions if you guys have some suggestions for lathes I should look for instead (need specifics due to lack of knowledge).

Again thank you for all the help so far.

In addition to coordinating a rigger and power requirements, be sure that your floor will support #700o of concentrated weight.
Even if it doesn't crack, keeping her level in plane will be an ongoing challenge.

Even #3000 tips over.
Not saying that you can't or shouldn't, merely that they do and will.

Daryl
MN

Back