7x lathe brushless motor upgrade kits: any experience with these?

The Custom Crafter store on eBay might save you some time if you don't want to re-invent the wheel. I've never purchased from him, but everything he sells is for the mini lathe. So he's got all the pulleys and stuff pretty well figured out. Prices seem reasonable.

This is a popular topic and some users are happy with this solution.
I found a German user that upgraded his lathe using this motor.
Looking at the costs, I would go (I use a 600W Lichuan A4 servo motor) for a servo motor. That lets you use the spindle as rotary table.

You can put a heavy motor on a small lathe, but keep in mind that it is hard to utilize a powerful motor on a not so rigid lathe. Also there may be more wear due to the extra load.

Why limit yourself? :D

Why limit yourself? :D
Exactly. :) I want to retain power leadscrew and threading ability, and low spindle speed capability ! Too expensive (much) and also requires welding skills and equipment I don't have. Something a bit more 'plug and play' is what I had in mind. But, thanks for the link; interesting stuff.

I'd contact him. Seems like he's just a guy in a garage. He probably uses USPS Flat Rate boxes to avoid having to look up shipping costs. Maybe if you do the leg work for him...

I have one on mine.
I haven't had it installed long though, but so far I really like the lower speed and higher torque on the low end.
I have a two speed headstock and I retained that feature.
I bought pullies and a speed POT from ServoKits/Custom Crafters.

Part of my install was a fools errand though, I added additional support under the headstock which moved the motor back farther.
That created more work than it was probably worth for what I gained, and I barely was able to fit the drive belt and forward/reverse back in. But hey, it kept me occupied on some cold winter weekends.
I thought I would eliminate some bed flex, which I did, but it just flexes everywhere else now.

I would install the motor again, I would not bother with the reinforcement though.

If I would've had an old Parker controller and a servo motor or some other surplus or used controller and motor I would've used it instead.
But for the price it's hard to beat these, longevity remains to be seen yet though, I guess.
Size factor is perfect too, if you mount it in the stock location. These are smaller than any of the name brand servo motors I've had in the past.

Pullies were the hard part and that's how I found Custom Crafters, my lathe was tore apart so I couldn't make any, timing pulley blanks were more than I wanted to spend. And I didn't want v belts because I didn't want to run that much tension, which may or may not be a valid concern.
But I had no real plan when I started, I tore my lathe apart and then decided what I was going to do on the fly. Never the best approach.

I didn't take many pictures, but some photos are better than no photos.

The reinforcing plate and added a 4th headstock bolt.
IMG_0779.jpg

The motor mounted, not pictured is the modified forward reverse lever.

IMG_0783.jpg

I have one on mine.
I haven't had it installed long though, but so far I really like the lower speed and higher torque on the low end.
I have a two speed headstock and I retained that feature.
I bought pullies and a speed POT from ServoKits/Custom Crafters.
Thanks, Justin. You bought the motor and controller from China and then mated it with the pullies, etc from CustomCrafter? The speed pot just plugged into the controller?

Yes, I bought mine on eBay.
The pulleys and speed controller came from Custom Crafters. The controller plugged right in. He says on his website the the speed controller doesn't work on all of them. He describes which ones, I was lucky and it worked on mine.
It might be a little more money, but buying everything from Custom Crafters might not be a bad way to go. His site says he tests them and I believe he stands behind them too. Which I think would be nice if a guy did run into problems.
I don't know him, but it sure seems like he put together a well thought out package deal.

Back