7x lathe brushless motor upgrade kits: any experience with these?

I'm wondering what the long term reliability is on these- they are too new to have much of a track record just yet
If you smoke one what are the chances of getting it fixed? Can the vendor provide service or even a schematic diagram?
It would be distressing if the only option would be to landfill the old one and buy a new one
-Mark

Thanks, Justin. Some of the AliExpress controllers look like 'drop-in' replacements with the stock style of Fwd-Rev switch, and that definitely appeals to me more than a membrane push-button to reverse. How do you like the controls, compared to the stock setup?

I'm wondering what the long term reliability is on these- they are too new to have much of a track record just yet
If you smoke one what are the chances of getting it fixed? Can the vendor provide service or even a schematic diagram?
It would be distressing if the only option would be to landfill the old one and buy a new one
-Mark
Good point. I should email Peter Brush (olduhfguy) and ask him if he's repairing the brushless motor controllers now. I can do some electronic repairs, but when the stock controller blew, it was olduhfguy or the landfill. :) I notice that someof the AliExpress controllers look like they are encased in black epoxy/plastic, so repair wouldn't be a possibility at all. I don't like that- whether it's a motor controller or a Dumble amp! :)

Yep everything is getting so disposable now, it's a shame how much good hardware gets trashed because one little part blew
I know Pete can fix some of the built-in brushless controllers in the mini lathes so I imagine he can fix these
Most often I think it's the output stage fets that fry- the factory uses cheap ones with marginal ratings

I notice that someof the AliExpress controllers look like they are encased in black epoxy/plastic, so repair wouldn't be a possibility at all.
But...thinking about it.... that encapsulation would make the board less susceptible to damage if a metal chip landed on it somehow. So perhaps not all bad.... :)

Thanks, Justin. Some of the AliExpress controllers look like 'drop-in' replacements with the stock style of Fwd-Rev switch, and that definitely appeals to me more than a membrane push-button to reverse. How do you like the controls, compared to the stock setup?
I like the speed control, the power switch on the controller still throws me at times. I forgot to turn it on, then forgot to turn it off.
Over all I'm very happy so far.

My Hardinge BB57 is powered by a 1000W sewing machine "servo motor".
I set it up this way a couple years ago, and it's given no problems at all - It's a Consew brand motor, and from my experience in our sewing shop, these are quite reliable, and I think the best bang for the buck.
I used the original control box and lever-style pot, and a mechanical linkage, using the Hardinge control lever to start, stop, and adjust speed.
Not the best photo to show it, but if you look carefully under the bench top, you can just see the bottom of the motor, at the rear end of the belt driving the countershaft, under the lathe.

The lathe has plenty of power, and I wouldn't hesitate to use one of these motors for any small machine.
In fact, I have the same motor I intend to use for my Hardinge BB2V mill (when I eventually get that one together), but that's another story :~)
hardinge lathe.jpg

I’ve never seen one of these before. What a sweetheart.

What head and tail tapers does it use?
It's a later iteration of the Hardinge "Cataract" series lathes, with huge angular contact ball bearings - Made sometime in the late 1930's.
7" swing, spindle though hole for direct 5C collet mounting, and a special Hardinge nose taper.
I fortunately got 3 and 4 jaw chucks, and a 6" faceplate, with it, as I'd hate to have to find, let alone buy, them now.
Some of them were equipped with lever-type collet closers, but mine has just a threaded drawbar. TS is MT1 - I mostly use it with the collets.

Back