7x14 to 7x16 Rebuild

A bit more solid, no chance of an issue with dissimilar metal/Electrolysis issues, better wear resistance where moving parts are rubbing and brass has a natural lubricity.
brass or bronze? and i did not think the spacers have any movement to them? not arguing just curious.

The spacers do not rotate, nor do they move. Weight/mass is also an issue.

The spacers do not rotate, nor do they move. Weight/mass is also an issue.
sorry i'm lost now i thought the spacers were fixed on the spindle and rotated with it? no movement relative to other touching parts.
also would more mass be a bad thing on a lathe spindle?

When the spacers are fitted to the spindle, they are sandwiched between the spindle gear and bearing race, the arrangement being:

locknut - Tach sensor wheel - locknut - gear - spacer - timing gear - spacer - Bearing - spacer - spindle gear - spacer - Bearing

Therefore, the spacers do not "move". They simply stay in the same position and rotate with the spindle.

Re more mass on the spindle... I would rather not push my luck. The original spacers were some plastic or other, so Ally was the best option without adding unwanted extra weight.

When the spacers are fitted to the spindle, they are sandwiched between the spindle gear and bearing race, the arrangement being:

locknut - Tach sensor wheel - locknut - gear - spacer - timing gear - spacer - Bearing - spacer - spindle gear - spacer - Bearing

Therefore, the spacers do not "move". They simply stay in the same position and rotate with the spindle.

Re more mass on the spindle... I would rather not push my luck. The original spacers were some plastic or other, so Ally was the best option without adding unwanted extra weight.
I'm with you nice work BTW

The spacers do not rotate, nor do they move. Weight/mass is also an issue
Are they pinned? If not you'll get some rotation with acceleration and deceleration. If that mas harms you, you have other issues as it should be fairly balanced around the center line of the shaft.
brass or bronze? and i did not think the spacers have any movement to them? not arguing just curious.
Brass, Copper and Zinc which is a good machine part. The biggest issue is dissimilar metal issues between steel and/or iron and most aluminum alloys. If your spacers are not pinned (I had assumed they were not) you'll get a little movement during shaft acceleration and de-acceleration for which you would not get any appreciable wear on the shaft and/or mating parts. If it were mine, this would be my chosen coarse of action, I personally do not like aluminum parts inside of gear boxes which are enclosed, full of fluid and require disassembly for observation/inspection.

It would be proper to note that many companies use both Aluminum and plastic for said aplication; but, that doesn't mean it's a good idea nor that I like it.

Just sayin.....
I might agree with you if this was sprung weight or a large diameter flywheel but it is neither, it is a small diameter minimal rotating mass which might actually benefit you when cutting. They used plastic, why not replace it with what they originally had in it? Why replace them at all?

Are they pinned? If not you'll get some rotation with acceleration and deceleration. If that mas harms you, you have other issues as it should be fairly balanced around the center line of the shaft.

Brass, Copper and Zinc which is a good machine part. The biggest issue is dissimilar metal issues between steel and/or iron and most aluminum alloys. If your spacers are not pinned (I had assumed they were not) you'll get a little movement during shaft acceleration and de-acceleration for which you would not get any appreciable wear on the shaft and/or mating parts. If it were mine, this would be my chosen coarse of action, I personally do not like aluminum parts inside of gear boxes which are enclosed, full of fluid and require disassembly for observation/inspection.

It would be proper to note that many companies use both Aluminum and plastic for said aplication; but, that doesn't mean it's a good idea nor that I like it.

Just sayin.....

I might agree with you if this was sprung weight or a large diameter flywheel but it is neither, it is a small diameter minimal rotating mass which might actually benefit you when cutting. They used plastic, why not replace it with what they originally had in it? Why replace them at all?

@verbotenwhisky

I am NOT buying expensive materials to appease YOUR ideals. If YOU want to pay for that material and send it to me so that I can make spacers from it then YOU are more than welcome to do so. Basically, you either put up the material you want to see used or shut up and butt out.

Oh, and btw, if you know as much as you profess to about 7x headstocks by your statements, you should know full and well that a 7x headstock is not "full of fluid". Enclosed? yes. Full of fluid? not a chance in hell without serious modification.

Last edited:
@verbotenwhisky

I am NOT buying expensive materials to appease YOUR ideals. If YOU want to pay for that material and send it to me so that I can make spacers from it then YOU are more than welcome to do so. Basically, you either put up the material you want to see used or shut up and butt out.

Oh, and btw, if you know as much as you profess to about 7x headstocks by your statements, you should know full and well that a 7x headstock is not "full of fluid". Enclosed? yes. Full of fluid? not a chance in hell without serious modification.
Sorry I kind of took the conversation off topic, I tend to do that, just the way I learn, asking questions. As to Verbotenwhisky I'm sure he did not mean it that way, it is just a technical question that I got tied up in and he was explaining. Anyway nice work and I will refrain from distracting the conversation.

Sorry I kind of took the conversation off topic, I tend to do that, just the way I learn, asking questions. As to Verbotenwhisky I'm sure he did not mean it that way, it is just a technical question that I got tied up in and he was explaining. Anyway nice work and I will refrain from distracting the conversation.

@dabear3428

I have zero problems with you asking relevant questions as it is how we learn. If you do not ask, you do not learn. The only stupid question is the one that is never asked.

As to verbotenwhisky, I may have over-reacted I may not have done, but either way I refuse to spend money on expensive materials to appease another persons ideals or personal dislikes.

Suggestions? fine. Raising questions over a particular choice or a particular matter? also fine.

I should not have to explain my choice of material even though it is based on sound reasoning and planning that only I am privvy to.

Last edited:
Back