833TV questions. Still looking for my first mill

litewings

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Earlier this year I was in the hunt for a mill and was looking for reviews on the 835S. I've decided against it as I can't get myself to buy anything Chinese after a past horrendous experience with another machine. Also was speculating on the 935TV but with cost's of the options I want, its over the limit I want to spend. I have now decided the 833TV may be my best option. Those who have the 833TV, what has been your experience with the tram in the Y Axis? Has the power in low speed operation been a major issue? Any other issues you have noted? Looking for all feedback, Pros and cons.
Thanks

Have you considered a small used USA machine like Clausing, Rockwell, or Millrite? Usually those show up fairly often on your side of the country but winter can be a bit lean
-Mark

I really haven't. I've watched fairly frequently since last March for a machine. I missed out on a 935TV that sold used on Ebay then that had all the options I wanted. Water under the bridge, but it was exactly what I was after and have been trying to find something close to it since. I'm now under a bit of pressure to find something before years end. I have a PM1340GT and am sold on the quality of the Taiwan machines. I would not be apposed to another machine with at least a good or quality for the price. I will not look at anything Chinese built. Been there, not doing it again.

I was so very on the fence about the Taiwanese mills, looking out for a used Bridgeport, then I saw my friend Chevy's. I am so very happy with my decision to buy the PM-935TS wish I bought it 5-years ago!
As far as the Chinese machines go, I have quite a few going back 15-years, but they all required much TLC to get them to a decent condition, something I was prepared to do back then. :D

I will say that the 935TV with DRO and three axis power feeds was in my sights earlier this year. I fit the hobby user profile better than anything and don't use my lathe more than once a week on average. Doubt I'll be using the mill much differently. Since I'm not a daily operator I doubt the reeves drive would be an issue in my lifetime. Still, at this time, I'm concentrating forward on the 833TV. But will admit I keep looking over my shoulder at the 935TV.

Well,,,, After spending most of my days and nights researching for a week, I'm shifting gears back to the near original plans of the 935 mill. I'm just afraid I would not be happy with no adjustability of Z axis tram on the 833TV. And also the possibility being short on low RPM power at some point. That said, I'm 95% decided on the 935TS 3 phase and will install a VFD. Price difference between the 935TS and 935TV makes the VFD install an easy choice. Now its down to deciding on DRO options. My first choice from PM (optical scales and graphic display) is on backorder with no estimated time for shipment. Planning at this time to have PM do the installs of the x-z power feeds and DRO, but haven't decided that for sure either.

The power feeds are a pretty easy install actually. I was concerned about the z install, but it was a breeze. Installing the limit switch for the z took longer to do. The 935TS is a beast, no regrets! :beer mugs:

Good choice. My recommendation is that you do your own DRO installs, and apply the money saved to upgrading to magnetic scales (which are far easier to install). “Factory” DRO installs are often done in an expedient (sometimes sloppy) manner, and several users report needing to tear off their DRO’s and reinstalling them to better workmanship standards. DROPros has step-by-step videos on the process, and there are many other sources of information on the process - it is not that complicated. You haven’t said whether you plan 2, 3, or 4 axis scales - please clarify.

Power feeder install on the 935 is not difficult, but it is fussy and sometimes intimidating. I have detailed my process installing the 935 feeders here, and Clough42 describes his challenges here.

That's the way I'm currently leaning. I was contemplating having the accessories installed at PM but I'm picky on how things are done. Since I've been repairing things for a living for too many years, it would be nice just to have something done an ready to go for once. But I probably wouldn't be satisfied and fixing things always takes more time and frustration to doing right the first time. I'll use money saved for more fixtures and tools for the mill. Shopping DRO's now. Planning 3 axis presently, probably a separate quill DRO later.

Back