833TV questions. Still looking for my first mill

Took me 7-days, working on it >12-hours per day to setup my mill just the way I wanted it. But then again, I bought ALL the whistles and bells for it and then some.

The 835-TS 3 phase will save you some change and you can get something along the lines of the Teco L510 or E510 if you want to use external braking, or Automation Direct GS20/21 series, they are easy installs and less expensive/problematic than a Reeves drive. I agree with David that you probably want to do your own DRO installs if you want a clean installation. I have done a number of DRO installs always machined my own brackets. Given that magnetic scales have come down in price and are an easier install, I would recommend going that route. Also on a mill I would recommend a graphical display with soft keys which gives you more information (like feed rates) and so forth. If you save money by doing your own installs, role that over into better accessories. The MX200 series DRO's operate very nicely there is also the ES-12B/C with 3 magnetic scales available through a UK vendor (delivery is by air freight).

That's the way I'm currently leaning. I was contemplating having the accessories installed at PM but I'm picky on how things are done. Since I've been repairing things for a living for too many years, it would be nice just to have something done an ready to go for once. But I probably wouldn't be satisfied and fixing things always takes more time and frustration to doing right the first time. I'll use money saved for more fixtures and tools for the mill. Shopping DRO's now. Planning 3 axis presently, probably a separate quill DRO later.

Mitutoyo makes the best quill DRO's IMO - the batteries last 10X longer than the stuff from China. They make a kit that will bolt onto the 935 J-head with minimal fussing around. You might find this thread informative. And here is another. I use the quill DRO way more often than the Z-axis readout for the knee - but that's because I "grew up" on a benchtop rather than knee mill. :)

As far as 2- and 3-axis DRO's go, I have found having a DRO on the mill that will display XY table feed rate is very helpful - especially when getting started and using a feed/speed calculator that says the feed rate should be "3 inches/per minute" (that's hard to judge). Not many DRO heads have the feed rate display capability, but if you find one that does, it's worth considering IMO.

Attached is something else that you may find helpful.

David

Attachments

• Machine Tooling Get Started List November82021.pdf
    167.6 KB · Views: 83
The 835-TS 3 phase will save you some change and you can get something along the lines of the Teco L510 or E510 if you want to use external braking, or Automation Direct GS20/21 series, they are easy installs and less expensive/problematic than a Reeves drive. I agree with David that you probably want to do your own DRO installs if you want a clean installation. I have done a number of DRO installs always machined my own brackets. Given that magnetic scales have come down in price and are an easier install, I would recommend going that route. Also on a mill I would recommend a graphical display with soft keys which gives you more information (like feed rates) and so forth. If you save money by doing your own installs, role that over into better accessories. The MX200 series DRO's operate very nicely there is also the ES-12B/C with 3 magnetic scales available through a UK vendor (delivery is by air freight).
Thanks for the suggestions on VFD's. AC electrical is definitely my weak area. Hoping to keep the VFD and needed components in as small of an enclosure as possible. Would like to have everything mounted in a small box on the left side of the head. Not sure if that's feasible with a braking resistor. May try the standard mill brake in the beginning and upgrade to VFD braking later if needed. Haven't started that planning phase yet so open to suggestions. The ES-12C is actually one of the DRO's I'm leaning towards currently. PM has the ES-12B with optical scales listed but prefer the button layout on the 12C and would prefer the magnetic scales. A UK supplier I came across has the 12C with magnetic scales for close to the same price. According to the manual on it I was reading, ES-12 does have feed rate function but unfortunately when that is being used, the other DRO functions can not be used if I'm reading it correctly. Single button push gets you back to standard functions.

This 12C kit should fit your 935. That's about US$725 plus shipping. That's the outfit in the UK that Mark has dealt with before. DROPro's claims to sell the same kit for $799, although configuring the 3 scale lengths is a bit baffling on their web site. I have no experience with the Easson. I have the DROPro's Electronica on my 1340 lathe and it's fine but nothing to rave about - the buttons don't always accept input and the display can flicker. I have a Newall DP700 on my 935 and that is a joy to use & behold, but it's also over $2K. You might want to check out this thread:

Having the ability to switch from position to feed rate and back will work fine. I do see that function mentioned in the Easson manual on the PM site. In practice, you typically set the position, then start feeding, and you only need to see the feed rate for a moment or two to adjust it, then you can switch back to position display. That's far better than not having a feed rate capability at all.

What is PM quoting you for delivery time on the PM-935TS?

This 12C kit should fit your 935. That's about US$725 plus shipping. That's the outfit in the UK that Mark has dealt with before. DROPro's claims to sell the same kit for $799, although configuring the 3 scale lengths is a bit baffling on their web site. I have no experience with the Easson. I have the DROPro's Electronica on my 1340 lathe and it's fine but nothing to rave about - the buttons don't always accept input and the display can flicker. I have a Newall DP700 on my 935 and that is a joy to use & behold, but it's also over $2K. You might want to check out this thread:

Having the ability to switch from position to feed rate and back will work fine. I do see that function mentioned in the Easson manual on the PM site. In practice, you typically set the position, then start feeding, and you only need to see the feed rate for a moment or two to adjust it, then you can switch back to position display. That's far better than not having a feed rate capability at all.

Good to hear about that UK seller. That is the one I found also. A bit relieving that someone has dealt with them before. I will most likely get the ES-12C with magnetic scales. Mill is estimated in to PM/QMT 2nd week of January, so I have a little time to decide on DRO yet.

My first DRO choice was the Easson ES-12B with glass scales, but it was unavailable at the time. Matt offered the PM Graphic as an option and I went for it. I saw the YH-800 graphical display on special at Amazon for $100 so I took a chance and grabbed it, as the display format really appealed to me. The pinout was a little different so I made the DB9m to DB9f converters to get it to interface correctly, and never looked back. I have the PM graphic display stowed as a backup.

Mill decision done. Money sent for PM-935TS 3ph. Basically decided on the ES-12C with magnetic scales so will order that shortly. Now will be looking for all info I can get on the VFD package. Have decided against getting it all in an enclosure with controls on the side of the head. Not practical.
I'll probably start another thread on the VFD questions.
Thanks to all for the input so far.

Good to hear about that UK seller. That is the one I found also. A bit relieving that someone has dealt with them before. I will most likely get the ES-12C with magnetic scales. Mill is estimated in to PM/QMT 2nd week of January, so I have a little time to decide on DRO yet.

At Mark's recommendation I ordered the 12C kit from the UK with the exact length magnetic scales to fit my PM-1340GT lathe. The price was right and delivery was pretty quick. Very happy with the purchase.

Ariel

Back