8x16 lathes with 210V in their model number. Usually MX-210v or MX210v

I don't have any experience with the 8x16 specifically, but I have developed an interest in the smaller size lathes. I have a Sherline 3.5x17", an Enco 9x20 and a Powermatic / Logan 11x24. Some will suggest you buy the biggest lathe you can fit / afford, but personally I believe in your logic of starting small since you really don't know where this will lead you.

You are asking about a specific lathe so I don't want to go too far down the path of alternates unless you want to go there except to say the 9x20 lathes have a pretty solid following, they don't cost a lot more than the 8x16s, but are about 100lbs heavier (250-ish vs 150-ish). There are several members here on the forum who have extensive experience with the Sieg 9x20.

Something I have found with the small Chinese lathes is you have to take their sizing with a grain of salt. Some liberties are taken with the measurements. Taking my 9x20 as an example, you can find it marketed by different brands as an 8.5x20, a 9x19 or a 9x20. In actuality these lathes have an 8.75" swing and the 19" or 20" depends on whether you are using a live or dead center. Some of the smaller 7x lathes have very optimistic between centers distances with the longer ones more accurate than the shorter (where every inch would be more critical).

It would appear you are looking at a Weiss WBL210 series lathe rather than the more common Sieg C4 and variants. I'm pretty sure HF is a Seig C4, and Grizzly maybe a Sieg SC4.

Weiss WBL210

Sieg C4

It appears Precision Matthews lathes are based on Weiss designs but they don't carry an 8x16 lathe, their smallest being the 10x22.

Dro-pros in Northern California sells Weiss lathes, and does offer the 8x16" WBL-210V. I don't know if there is a closer retailer to Washington, as the Weiss USA site won't come up for me. I think there are a couple of people on this site that have dealt with Dro-pros.

Dro Pros Weiss lathes

OK, so I have looked over the Grizzly site which has them 10 to 20% lower than Amazon. Their 9x19 and 10x22 both around $1400 with the current pricing (sale 10% off through April 10th). I had initially discounted these as being 30 to 40% over the MX-210v but now see they come with a second chuck and live center and steady rest and follow rest and meaningful customer service and better design and more weight. Starting to lean toward a 9x19 or 10x22 Grizzly. even though I do not see the need for a steady rest or follow rest yet I can see I will want those sooner with Grizzly's much smaller spindle bore.

I build rc model airplanes and occasionally need a lathe. A small one is all I need so did not get into this with any plans of buying a larger lathe. However, all and I mean ALL, suggestions were to stay away from small machines. Not needing a bigger machine i ignored the advice and bought small anyway.

Well, they were right. I bought the mini lathe (a unimat) and while it's going to be perfect for tiny little items, anything beyond that and you won't be happy. All along my plan is/was to buy 2 different sizes but I can't wait for something that can cut an item the same day I need it.

The PM 10x30 is on my buy list.

Grizzly is a known supplier and their stuff has plenty of fans. I tend to think of machine tools like musical instruments, a skilled performer can make beautiful music with a mediocre instrument but a beginner might get frustrated and walk away from the hobby if their instrument isn't properly set-up and tuned.

Like I said before, your question has been asked here many, many times. @DavidR8 recently has gone through a similar process and reading his threads might give some insight.

The best advice I can give is don't be in a hurry, you'll find what works for you eventually even if you have to go through a few machines before you're happy. With any tool the skill lies mostly in the user, if you can find someone close by with a shop you can hang out in for an afternoon you'll have a much better idea of where to start.

Cheers,

John

I don't have any experience with the 8x16 specifically, but I have developed an interest in the smaller size lathes. I have a Sherline 3.5x17", an Enco 9x20 and a Powermatic / Logan 11x24. Some will suggest you buy the biggest lathe you can fit / afford, but personally I believe in your logic of starting small since you really don't know where this will lead you.

As someone who used (suffered through) a Taig micro lathe for 2 decades, I can tell you you will get "down the learning curve" faster with the lathe as big as you can fit than as small as you can afford. If you are even close to affording the one that just barely fits, then wait and accumulate a bigger bank account.

I think I am looking at Grizzly 9x19 or 10x22 now. Both in the $1,500 range delivered and having enough additional components to justify $400 of the added cost so basically $250 for the Grizzly support system, anticipated quality differences, and branding. Noe those two Grizzly lathes have different gearboxes and tool posts with I believe the smaller having a QCGB and 3/8 max tool and the larger having 1/2 maximum tool and not looking like a QCGB. What's a boy to do...

Go with the bigger machine.

QCGB is convenient for threading and changing auto feed so If you see yourself doing a lot of either go with the 9x19 but I would personally deal with change gears to have more mass, power and larger spindle bore. I haven't touched either machine but they should be of similar quality. Also a higher top speed is good. Change gears are less convenient but to me it comes down to the old auto racing saying "there's no replacement for displacement" .

John

Always think bigger.

00202_9xSzT50ychl_1200x900.jpg

Both of those have limited QCGBs, more for speed control and power feed speeds than threading. You will still need to use change gears for the full range of threading options. For the money I think it is worth moving up to one of those from the 8x16. They are still relatively cheap and as you noticed the additional tooling accounts for a good part of the difference in price. The 10x22 is beginning to become a handful at 300-350lbs but the 9x20s can be lifted and moved by hand by 2 average strength adults. The added weight of the 10x22 will make it more rigid so better unless you expect to move it around. The next step up to a 12x36 is a big one, a far more capable machine but about double the budget and no longer even remotely portable with a weight around 1000lbs.

It is true you may find yourself wanting something bigger down the road, but either of these are an easy size to re-sell and move out of your garage if / when you get to that point and at that point you will hopefully have a much better idea of what you are looking for long term.

Last edited:
Back