90 Working Days LeftTo Retire :)

Time is flying by but it still seems a long way away.
My mind isn't on my work, I am not comfortable with that.
Did you guys go through this?
I just seem scattered and I can't seem to focus on any one thing for very long.
I'm a creature of habit, I love my routines. December 31st is my last work day.
My wife wants me to work through January as my 65th birthday is February 6th.
Nah, I'm so done.

Going through it now. I'll be 65 in early 2023, but I'm not sure if I will last that long. A year ago my wife and I reached "our number" for what we wanted saved to retire comfortably (not extravagantly but living like we live now). She got out in Jan of this year, and I'm going to try to keep going but it's nice to know that I can go at any time (unless the market goes haywire, and that's certainly a possibility).

I don't want to say "I'm going through the motions" cuz I am doing a pretty good job and getting good reviews and raises and bonuses. But my heart and mind are not in it like they were 10 or even 5 years ago. Like a colleague once said "If I have 3 bad days in a row I'll just tell them to go f themselves" :)

NEWS FLASH,
I just realized I work 4 day weeks. That changes the title to this thread, "56 Working Days Left!!.
Then there is labor day and Thanksgiving, that changes the title to this thread, 54 Working days to retirement :)
It doesn't seem so hard now.

Also think about any things you can do at work to make your departure smooth for the other people there.
I'm stressing a project that I assumed would be done before I retire. There were two actually, new phone system =check!
We are replacing the service department write up building with a 24X40 Modular unit.
I submitted all the paperwork to the county last February. I'm working with an architect to hurry things along.
Unfortunately, our county has adopted the new work ethic, mediocrity is the new standard.
I'm running out of time and I loath to leave this to my replacement.

NEWS FLASH,
I just realized I work 4 day weeks. That changes the title to this thread, "56 Working Days Left!!.
Then there is labor day and Thanksgiving, that changes the title to this thread, 54 Working days to retirement :)
It doesn't seem so hard now.

I made a spread sheet that kept a running count of Mondays, Paydays, Holidays and total days left to report to work.

The time will fly by, and you will be there before you know it, Jeff; for me, that was ten years ago, like you, I could hardly wait, but wait I did, until I reached my max SS benefit at 65 and six months.
We’ve been discussing when to start SS. My financial guy showed us all the scenarios if I start at 65, 65 1/2,
In our projection it made such little difference he said we should we start when we are comfortable.
Fortunately, we could live on my wife’s pension alone. We would have to be sensible of course.
I’m thinking 65 1/2.

How do you do it?
Do you call the local SS office and make an appointment?
Over the phone?
Online?
I did log into my SS account, it says I have no claims against my SS# and I worked for enough years!
40 points must be the magic number.
Say, if you go out on SS disability at 63 and you start taking your SS at 65, do you get extra because you were on disability or do you get your normal 65 amount only?
For the record, I'm not planning on being disabled any time soon or ever for that matter.

Last edited:
I too was having a hard time deciding when to take SS , my wife was mostly a stay at home home her SS won’t be much so even though I retired before I was 62 , earliest date you can take SS , I was thinking on waiting longer to start taking it . My thought of waiting would be my wife would get surviving spouse benefits , which would be higher for me if I waited until full retirement date would be $900 a month more. That does seem like a lot more but by taking it now at 62 . By a quick estimate if I wait approximately 5 years before taking I wouldn’t be $2063 a month or $123,780 . I let my wife make the decision and she wanted to have me take it at 62 . My was more extreme difference in months but you get the idea . Figure out how much you’ll lose each month vs the extra you’ll get you might find it would take years to make that up.

How do you do it?
Do you call the local SS office and make an appointment?
Over the phone?
Online?
I did log into my SS account, it says I have no claims against my SS# and I worked for enough years!
40 points must be the magic number.
Say, if you go out on SS disability at 63 and you start taking your SS at 65, do you get extra because you were on disability or do you get your normal 65 amount only?
For the record, I'm not planning on being disabled any time soon or ever for that matter.
Our local office is still closed. I have called and spoke with people at SS several times asking questions and discussing my options regarding retirement benefits and medicare. They are very helpful. Something I did not expect.

I would start with a phone call.

Back