A bronze drill I made

george wilson

Global Moderator
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have tried 2 other times to post this. Maybe too many pictures? Don't know. If this works,I'll post more pictures. These are pictures I took some time ago,and I think their files are too large. I learned better later on.

O.K.,took a while. This drill is about 14" long. It is not a copy of any existing 19th.C. drill,but there are a few of this nature that were apparently made as one-off projects by the workmen themselves. Too expensive a drill to market,I suppose.

The handles are rosewood. The 1/2" diameter drill rod bar going down the center line of the drill is hardened,and has a 60º tip on it which serves as a thrust bearing for the small bevel gear.

The tool steel chuck is a simple,early style,which accepts 1/4" shank spade bits of different diameters on their cutting ends. There are "tommy bar" holes on both handles,minimizing the number of tools needed to take the drill apart,and using those same tightening holes as extra artistic touches(compared to hex nuts.)

The moldings turned on the large gear were turned with freehand tools in the metal lathe,just as wood is turned. In early days,metal was often turned freehand,before we had more advanced lathes with carriages and cross feeds.

I will attempt to add pictures one at a time,so keep checking this posting if you are interested.

IMG_0065.jpg

View attachment 303

View attachment 302

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg IMG_0065.jpg IMG_0067.JPG IMG_0066.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you guys like the drill. I enjoy designing tools and guitars as much as making them. Actually,more! Making them is too much trouble!:)

dalee,I don't understand what you are asking. What bushings? Can you re phrase that?

So many views,and so few comments. Makes one wonder if anyone cares about the work. Do post your thoughts.

So many views,and so few comments. Makes one wonder if anyone cares about the work. Do post your thoughts.

I'm guilty of 4 or 5 of those views.

I keep coming in to write something but am gobsmacked each time i look at it.
Fantastic piece you have there! I could only imagine the time and sweat that went into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
George that's some real fine craftmanship. :)

I think the bushings Dalee refers to are the the ones on the end near the handle and the one near the chuck, you then have the flat pieces that join to the bushing for the crank arm. I was wondering the same thing I think, how does it all join together or is it one piece?

Last edited:
What holds the crank handle on is that the shaft that comes in through the gear has big flat spots on either side of the round shaft. The crank has a corresponding hole. The large flat head screw seen on the crank is somewhat larger than the shaft,and covers the shaft,and keeps the crank from falling off.

Hope this answers the question. And,thank you for your interest,all.

Another wonderfull piece of work Geo. I sure enjoy the pics of your'e fine projects. Excellent workmanship!!

When the first photo pulls an unstoppable "Wow!" out of you, how do you type anything that expresses that? Beautiful drill, George.

wow really nice work. It is not a copy of any existing 19th.C. drill,but there are a few of this nature that were apparently made as one-off projects by the workmen themselves. Too expensive a drill to market,I suppose. Did you have an original to copy or did you design it from memory? It is a very nice piece of art work.

As I said,it is not a copy of any original drill.:) I had a job for many years as toolmaker in Williamsburg,where I was paid to make exact copies of 18th.C. tools for craftsmen in the Historic Area to use. I was paid to do that. What I really like to do,though,is design my own tools and musical instruments. I am glad you like it.

Back