A bronze drill I made

Bronze is a darker(this bronze,I mean. Lots of alloys) color than brass,and more elegant. This is manganese bronze,which is pretty solid stuff,harder than the usual brass.

Rosewoods come in many varieties. They are called rosewood because they(at least SOME of them) smell like roses when the log is freshly cut down. They are generally pretty hard and dense woods. Like the bronzes,there are lots of different ones. Mine is made of East Indian rosewood,which I do not think is a TRUE rosewood (not like Brazilian rosewood,king of the rosewoods),but is still called rosewood anyway. It is similar,but not exactly like Brazilian rosewood. Martin guitars made before 1969 were made of Brazilian rosewood. After that date,they switched to East Indian as the Brazilian Government put an embargo on selling the wood. They wanted to make things from the wood,then sell it. It is not a protected species.

GAD!!! This was a complicated,convoluted answer,but is the correct information.

By the way,if you ever work in a Greek restaurant,GAD is the past tense of GEED (get) Geed is also the future tense of get. Where you GAD dees? When you are going to GEED dees? There seems to be no present tense.

I have thought about upgrading the handles to a better wood,actually. Maybe ebony,or a better species of rosewood.

Can you tell us what It says on the casting? I can't make all of it out. It's a very beautiful design. Excellent craftsmanship.

It says:"Geo. D.Wilson Mkr. in Wmsbg. Va,No.1.- or something close to that!

Too bad I didn't put the date on it.One year I got the Winter Lee Valley tool catalog,and it was on their cover!! Someone there had met the well known collector and made photos of some of his tools.

But,on that cover,undated,the drill could have been taken for an antique made over 100 years ago,so I didn't get much advertising out of it.

Back