A Civil War Napoleon type cannon

T

Tom Griffin

Forum Guest
Register Today
Ever since experiencing a cannon demonstration at Greenfield Village, I've been fascinated by cannon from the Civil War era. Over the years, I collected information on them, including many photos and measurements first hand. Eventually I got around to building one and settled on a one-fifth scale Napoleon 12 pounder. I made the wheels out of hard maple with individual spokes, fitted into hubs and wooden rims, all held together with steel tires shrink fitted just like the real ones. The barrel was machined out of a piece of brass I had laying around and has a 15/16" bore. The trunnions are silver soldered into shallow pockets in the sides of the barrel. The elevation screw is case hardened steel with a square thread (Mr. Acme wasn't born yet) and the nut is brass. The carriage itself is also hard maple and has case hardened steel furniture. I made it about thirty five years ago and shoot it regularly, especially on Independence Day and New Years Eve. The balls are .88 caliber and are cast from lead in a two piece aluminum mould that I made. It makes an impressive sound that you feel more than hear.

Tom

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

013.JPG

001_2.JPG

002_1.JPG

004.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

007.JPG

013.JPG

013.JPG

001_2.JPG

001_2.JPG

002_1.JPG

002_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That a real nice job you did there,;) thanks for posting.:biggrin:

Thanks guys.

Ron: How is the shaper project coming. Are you able to work on it in the winter?

Tom

I'd be able to work on it if I just found some extra time. :banghead: The winter really doesn't affect me much as my "shop" is an empty garage stall I have at my office but it's a little unique in that I have a furnace-AC unit. It stays about 72 degrees year round. :biggrin:

The last couple of weeks have been a little chaotic as has the weather (actually hit 65 today, in Nebraska, in the middle of winter!) but I should have a handle on things shortly then it'll be time to dig in a little deeper.

Thanks for asking,

-Ron

NICE Not only looks cool but great over all work.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I'd also like to build a howitzer barrel for it and maybe a limber if there were just enough hours in the day. :thinking:

Tom

That is one Nice looking cannon, I hope mine comes looking that good, I stared working on the wood, but have a way to go, and I'm not that good with wood.
Cannon005.jpg

Cannon005.jpg

Cannon005.jpg

That is one Nice looking cannon, I hope mine comes looking that good, I stared working on the wood, but have a way to go, and I'm not that good with wood.

Thanks Chief.

Yours is looking good so far, are you going to shoot it?

Tom

Hi Griff: No I don't plan on firing it up, I will just set in my office with all my other old navy toys and look at it,
NavyFlag003.jpg

NavyFlag003.jpg

NavyFlag003.jpg

Back