A Civil War Napoleon type cannon

That's probably for the better. Black powder makes a real mess of polished brass.

Tom

That cannon is amazing! I have no reference as to size, would you mind putting a bic in the pic or something? Beautiful work man, I especially like the barrel adjustment screw.

Thanks!

The elevation screw was fun. It's a case hardened steel screw with a square thread running in a brass nut. I added one more pic for scale reference.

Tom

impressive!!!!

in the originals, was the trunnions cast in with the rest of the barrel?

I plan on making a small desktop replic (non firing - PITA Oz laws) but want to make it as accurate as possible for methods. I hope to have casting back on later next year, so hence the question about the trunnions.

thanks,
Des

Thanks Des.

Yes, the trunnions were cast as part of the full size barrel. I just happened to have a chunk of brass bar laying around looking for an application so why not use it to build a cannon? maybe some day I'll get busy and cast a Howitzer barrel for it. :thinking:

Tom

if that was sitting in a scaled background I am not sure you could not tell it was a model
really nice tom
steve

if that was sitting in a scaled background I am not sure you could not tell it was a model
really nice tom
steve

Thanks Steve.

Here's a video of the beast in action.

Tom

[video=youtube_share;HAkKU05lM8Y]http://youtu.be/HAkKU05lM8Y[/video]

Very nice! As I was reading the thread I was thinking a video of it firing would be great and here it is. Terrific work all around.

Phil

Cool!

Looks like you need a couple of chains and stakes to anchor it. I've seen photos of those used.

It's deceiving in the video, but it only rolls back three or four feet with a ball, about half that with just a wad. I suppose I could tighten up the fit on the wheels.

Tom

Back