A Engine Question.

No leavers Chuck, so keep thinking

Brian.

Was this the one that had the injector pump mounted on the top of the engine, and the pump was driven off the back of the crankshaft. ,in separate housing before the transmission bell housing. It was similar to a twin cam design, two or three lower gears driving a chain to two upper idler tension gears, then the final gear on a drive shaft going to the injector pump. It had a sort of shaft plunger setup, that rotated compressing the fuel. God old age is creeping up on me. We had one in the shop I attempted to worked at in New York to work. Technical info was hard to come by, we ended to sending it down the city for a gentleman to work on. He sent back schematics, but it still baffled me.

I spent the last hour looking through old photo albums for the pictures I took while we disassembled. No luck at all, wife ranting.

Last edited:
I'm guessing they drove it off of the idler gear. That is the only thing in there with a 2:1 ratio. Not sure if that is part of the accessory drive system or not.

The above and 2 injectors per cylinder, with a firing order of 1A 3A 2A 1B 3B 2B

Hi all
Not 2 injectors per cyl Jim. The pump only had 3 outlets. but a nice try.

Hi wdnich.
I think the one you worked on sounds like the last production model that ran the DPA pump at engine speed and dumped every other pulse back to the tank.
The photos sound good if you can find them. Things were changing fast in those days.
Brian.

I have wracked my brain for three days over this one. The one thing that keeps coming to mind would be a crank trigger system, that would trigger the pulse for the injectors to cycle, possibly off the flywheel or a independent crank ran pulley.

All the clues are in posts #8 and #9
its so simple you are going to hate me for this

Brian.

6 pulses that fire to 3 leads.

A distributor type pump running off the timing system. The rotary cap has opposing ports that fire at the same time to the cross plumbed injector. Two leads into one.

I am going to wrap my head around this before it is over.

You are running out of time the offer of the free download of my book closes on sept 1st.
the best so far is cvairwerks comment that the pump must be 6 cylinder OK all you have to do is distribute 6 pulses at half engine speed into 3 outlets.

If it help think of it as a 6 cylinder car distributor but the cap only has 3 leads ???
what can you do to make it use of the wasted 3 pulses to produce 6 pulses at twice the speed.
don'.t alter the bottom end of the distributor or the drive.

it's O So simple.:pondering:

Brian

Back