A few of my CNC plasma cutouts

Gadget

Active User
Registered
Here is a sample of the cutouts I've made with my CNC table.

GEDC0013.JPGbass.jpgPOW.jpggsjeep.jpg

bass.jpg GEDC0013.JPG gsjeep.jpg POW.jpg

Pretty neat stuff,
I have a new manual cutter and am slowly learning to use it.
Your work looks high class and since I have had thoughts about doing some similar things I wonder what kind of investment would be required to get started. I'm too old to spend a lot of time building up a business to get my money back so would need an economy setup that might serve as a self supporting hobby. "Go cheap or stay home".

I would appreciate any info and thoughts that you might throw my way.
Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry,
I built my table for about $1000.00 It has a wood frame which isn't as sturdy as metal obviously but for plasma that doesn't matter anyway. I used a motor and controller kit from HobbyCNC and bought my plans from http://solsylva.com/ My table working area is about 30X42". I use EMC2 as a machine control software which is free and runs on Ubuntu Linux, it does a great job. To generate the cut path I use SheetCamTNG. It's a reasonably priced program and you can get an eval version that will generate up to 1000 lines of code (I think that's the limit now) which is enough to do a pretty good cut.
Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions about my table or the process.
Dan

You might want to look into 8020.com for some standard aluminum structural extrusion shapes that can make building a frame for this kind of project much easier. Kind of like an industrial erector set.

Gadget,

Very nice,:) just as a matter of interest what material and thickness?
:drink:
DaveH
Dave,
Everything but the Bass was cut out of .080 aluminum. The bass was of steel cut from an old cheap metal cabinet that was no longer serviceable.

You might want to look into 8020.com for some standard aluminum structural extrusion shapes that can make building a frame for this kind of project much easier. Kind of like an industrial erector set.

8020.com doesn't look anything like the site you describe Tony.

ha ha, try 8020.net

Common mistake.

Not sure about the U.S. but that gear is bloody expensive in Australia - IF anyone is holding it...

My mistake. I had just glanced over at one of their catalogs on the shelf and wrote .com out of habit. I should be more careful. It could get really embarrassing.

heres a few pictures of the cnc plasma table i've been working on...

i have a gallery here with about 20 or so pictures, but i havent posted anything about the build yet..

IMG00487-20111105-1822.jpg IMG00480-20111029-1728.jpg IMG00492-20111105-2003.jpg IMG00485-20111104-1924.jpg

I should build another one using aluminum extrusions like you have Bruce. I'd probably have to sell the one I have to get the funds for it though.

Back