A hack saw attachment for the lathe?

Bob -
If your major use is to cut steel stock, like 1.5" steel, you might want to consider a bandsaw. There are lots of threads on the site that talk about the "classic" 4x6 bandsaw. Even the Horrible Freight saw, once set up and a good blade installed, will do a good job on steel rounds. Another alternative would be a "portaband" type saw. The disadvantage I see with the corded ones is that they all seem to be obnoxiously noisy. So I haven't gone out and bought one.

What I have been seriously thinking about is the Milwaukee M12 mini-bandsaw. It has a capacity of 1 ⅝" x 1 ⅝" and is, of course, extremely portable. Just not sure yet if I'd use it often enough - I have two of the 4x6 bandsaws already.
Possible sources:

Note that 2429-20 is just the saw itself (with blade). The 2429-21XC kit includes a battery and charger.

A friend of mine got the Bauer portable band saw from Harbor freight when it was on sale for $99.00
and he made a steel table and stand to hold it and it has served him well for small projects....
the 4x6 H.F. Bandsaw is more to my liking and I could fix it to where it would work good for me but it's gone up to over $250 bucks now
and after spending my Years worth of money and then some on the lathe I can't get one now ... it'll be a year till I can afford something like that !
but when I do I can dismantle the lathe hack saw and use it for something else ! LOL......
....but in all truthfulness....I'ed rather make it if I can..... all I would have to do is get a metal blade for my home made bandsaw and slow the thing down with a jack shaft and I would be good to go ....but it all takes money ...
so right now I just find the design I like the best ...then make it when I can !
later !
Bob...........

Take a look at this OLD Popular Science Project.
It uses (2) Piston Connecting Rods.

Attachments

• PS_hack_Saw.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
very interesting ! did you notice that the direction of the pushing out connecting rod was also pushing down on the saw into the work ?
some home made ones are pushing up and that is no good for cutting !
thank you !
Bob.........

well, yah depends on what your building it could work both ways.... but I've seen videos of home made saws that 1.) were going too fast
and 2 .) hit the blade with such force Upward as to make the blade hop up....
i think just by turning the blade around it would make that saw really cut very fast....
you need to observe the motion and ascertain what the mechanics are doing to the blade for the best cutting action
.... but obviously just about anything will work....LOL
some designs are super simple.... no slides needed at all, just a pivot in the back..... and that is quite innovative !
I think I will Draw up another version in Blender using that method... as it really is quite simple.... no bearings needed !
..... just good tight pivots ....
Bob.....

well today I got the holding vice done for the hack saw attachment for the lathe....
I was going to restore the quick vice that was on the chopsaw base but it was just too far gone to bother with so I made up a new 5/8" threaded rod portion and used a long coupling nut and welded it to a bracket I made..... put the turn handle in it and assembled it ...it works great !
it will hold anything I wann'a cut without moving around ! it can also rotate to 45 degrees .... so that will be handy.
...... next is the base for the vice base and then the hacksaw and crank for the chuck on the lathe not to mention the back pivot arm...
which needs to be very carefully done so as not to allow any sideways movement in it's 2 pivot points.....
then I gott'a figure out how I'm going to attach it to the lathe so it's fast and easy to put on and off .
I think I'll make the stroke of the crank 4" max with a minimum stroke of 2" and a spot between them at 3".... movement of the saw itself will be double that measurement.... so the minimum stroke for the saw will be 4" and Max stroke of 8" ....so 4, 6, & 8, inch strokes..... I have no idea if that is good or bad..... i guess it is try it and see LOL.....
Bob.....

Humm I haven't looked through my gingerly books lately I think I have the shaper , lathe and one other....might be worth looking ! Thanks !
in the video... that is the idea !.....there are 100 ways to do the slides at least, the simpler the better ! but they need to work good and not allow any flopping around !
I'm just sick and tired of using the reciprocating saw with wore out blades on it to try and cut 1.5" diam. steel by the time I'm done doing that I am in pain with my Arthritis ! Big time ! and yes I do use cutting oil and go fairly slow but even with a new blade it takes at least 30 minutes !
with a dull blade in it .... twice that time.... so a GOOD saw is in order !....
thanks for the help !
Bob......

Have you tried the Diablo metal blades?
I was skeptical till I tried them.
I cut some 1” square hot rolled stock in under 5 minutes. Many cuts with the same blade and I didn’t notice any decrease in cutting ability.

Seems a lot of work when a few blades might save you a bunch of head scratching and fabrication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi David !
well, no I have not tried anything but the cheapest metal blades as to me they are way too expensive as it is ! LOL....
I usually get the 10 pack and get them as long as I can afford.... and I try to use the entire blade not just by the hilt of the Reciprocating saw.
but they go away fairly fast some better than others...but they are disposable blades.
I was really impressed at seeing the metal cutting chop saws with actual saw blades in them and how well they cut steel !
but those puppies are expensive as heck ! i can't justify one of those... now perhaps if I made one....... hehehehehe
I got the vice base bolted down to the aluminum plate this morning... but didn't get any further than that today.
i put the unit on the lathe and am confronted with clearance issues...that I didn't expect so I gott'a work that out.
started to work on the back pivot arm but got derailed on something else....
I did gather up the material for the saw frame itself, but that is as far as I got today.
later !
Bob......

I recommend trying the Diablo blades as you might be pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back