A larger tool holder on a smaller tool post??

I couldn't think of anything other than milling down the holder but you guys came up with several great ideas. My concern was not being able to mill the holder because I thought it might be too hard. I do have a cheap Chinese holder so I'll give that a try first. The lathe has a 1hp motor and the 3/4" tool holder has 5 degree rake, IIRC so I don't think would be turning with a negative rake. Thx a bunch guy's. BTW, I haven't been around for a while because I got caught up in a "down to the metal car restoration" . She is now painted and I should have her out of my hair in the next few months. After that I plan on spending the rest of my active retirement learning more operating skills here. I've spent at least 100 hours watching some master machinist (some idiots too) on YouTube and so far, the more I learn the more I realize how little I know.

Negative rake tooling such the one you have which takes the WNMG insert requires substantial rigidity and power. Those aspects will limit your success on a small lathe with AXA-sized tool posts.

Back