A larger tool holder on a smaller tool post??

Grasshopper

Registered
Registered
I have an AXA 250-111 wedge type tool post and wondered if a 250-202T holder will fit. The reason is this; I have a 3/4" MWLNR2020K08 that I'd like to use so that I can use the WNMG0804 inserts. TIA, Kent

I have an AXA 250-111 wedge type tool post and wondered if a 250-202T holder will fit. The reason is this; I have a 3/4" MWLNR2020K08 that I'd like to use so that I can use the WNMG0804 inserts. TIA, Kent
I have a BXA and bought a BXA holder to use a 1" parting blade in, I believe I can also buy one for a standard 3/4" and 1" tool.

2023-08-18_17-00-39.jpg

Or, could you cut down the tool shank?
This is fairly common.

Just make sure that if/when you do this the final insert height is in line with the rest of your tooling to maintain setup height.

No need to be perfect, but it should be close.

You could find get an oversized AXA holder which would be 5/8", you still would need to mill the bottom of the insert holder down to 5/8", otherwise I doubt you would have enough adjustment to get the cutting tip on center. On such a small tool-post/machine I would not use negative rake insert. I have a 1T lathe with BXA QCTP and use a WNMG 060404 or 060408 (331, 332), I would not consider using a 432 size insert unless I had a bigger/high Hp lathe.

Or, could you cut down the tool shank?
Or you could increase the 1/2" capacity of the AXA toolholder to 3/4" with a carbide endmill. Buy a cheap chinese one, modify it and then you have one for any 3/4 tool you may need to use.

Or you could increase the 1/2" capacity of the AXA toolholder to 3/4" with a carbide endmill. Buy a cheap chinese one, modify it and then you have one for any 3/4 tool you may need to use.
I've done this several times. Reducing the shank of the tool would be my first choice.

I've both bought oversize and milled down tools. Both work, just need to think about which one fits your stuff. If you have a bunch of stuff that fits the oversize, get one! Or if you have a "use it everyday" oversize, dedicate a holder to it.
Just one or two tools I would mill them.
I think my knurler fell into the "don't want to hack it up" category...

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Back