A little collet help for a newbie?

Bob Loers

Registered
Registered
Hello all, my name is Bob Loers and I am relatively new here. I have been skimming and reading posts here for the last 6 months or so and have learned so much. I am a beginning machinist. I have been working metal most of my life but have recently purchased a Burke MVN mill and I am addicted. I have a problem though, I had purchased a slitting saw with an R8 arbor and was pretty deflated when I tried to use it. I found out that, for whatever reason, my mill does not use R8 collets. I think they are MT3 but I'm not sure where to look for the correct sizes. I see 3/8-16 drawbar collets but I think mine is 1/2-13. Is this weird er what? can someone please clue me in? left is R8, right is mine.20201207_122836[1].jpg

Hi Bob,

There are a number of standard tapers.
I can't hazard a guess by looking at it.

I would have to check it with a caliper against some tables to be sure.

This wikipedia page has tables for a number of the most popular tapers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_taper#Morse

As for draw bars I have four or five different sizes all made from all-thread with a long coupler nut at the top end to spread the force of knocking it to dislodge the taper across multiple threads.

The Burke page over at lathes.co.uk:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/burke/
does NOT list the MVN model.
However the #0 has a B&S #7 and the #1 has a B&S #9.

-brino

EDIT: VintageMachinery also has some Burke documents here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=132&tab=3
however they don't mention "MVN" either.

Last edited:
if i'm not mistaken B&S #7 takes a 3/8"-16 drawbar, the B&S #9 take the 1/2"-13

Had some fun with this. It seems that the MVN is an updated #1. Has a stronger riser. One sold for $400 in Ohio in 08'. But not to fear one is available today for $3200 on our famous auction site. Here is a link to a manual on HM. The company on the cover is still in business and sells parts for Burke. #9 B&S was the standard for the machine, but it could be ordered with a half dozen different tapers. Guess they want everybody to be happy. Get the taper specifications from Wikipedia, above, or look them up in Machinery's handbook. Looks like a really good machine. Anyway now I have link to a UK website for information. My first go-to is Vintage Machinery, as above.

Good Luck!!!!!!

TTC is showing #9 B&S with a 1/2-13 drawbar. Goggle it. Collets are availabe but expensive. You will have to do some serching to see if you can get an ER collet chuck in #9 B&S. Would be cheaper in the long run than individual collets. Maybe have someone turn a universal arbor that you can adapt to. I know some of the people here on the forum have made their own arbors and collet chucks, it is doable.

#7 and #9 B&S collets are not too expensive, Little Machine Shop has them for about the same price as quality ER collets. The other accessories that fit the taper is where you can run into problems.

What is kind of odd is my little horizontal mill has a #9 taper, but the drawbar is 3/8"-16.

Thanks!! Forgot about LMS. You are right, they are priced the same as other collets. With the collets there he is covered for slitting saw and fly cutter with a straight shank. Haven't found a direct drill arbor so he would have to use a straight shank in a collet. ID the collet and verify it is a #9. Then it's time for a Goggle serch on a rainy day.

Thanks Charles

Man, that's a lot of information. I appreciate all of you for the help. I had originally thought it was Morse Taper because my boring bar has an MT3 taper and it got stuck in the mill the first time I tried to use it, so I will be investing in a new and proper shank for that as well as a straight 3/4" shank slitting saw. By the way, the attached pic is my mill. It resides at where I work because of space and power requirements and I think you all might agree with me when I say, I really enjoy having it at work because it really seems to keep my marital stress at a minimum. I have also rewired the machine to accept all 440v 3p because it seems to run better and that's what I have available. it does have quill auto-feed but the quill seems to have binding issues when drilling and I have to do some cleaning to it. thanks for the help, Bob AKA: Mechaniic
20201020_161533[1].jpg

Back